MELAFIX what do you all think of

Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
works like a dream. I use it when adding fish to prevent anything and I also used it to help my gourami recover from fin-rot (which by the way, his fins grew back in full). Add a little stress-coat and it works amazingly well.

weasle

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
doesnt hurt my planted tank. i would take out the carbon.i never run carbon anyway unless im trying to remove medication.malafix has worked great for me with fin rot and nipped fins.

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
My experience with Melafix so far leads me to believe it is only a MILD anti-biotic, which will help in the recover AFTER treatment but certainly does little to prevent to treat illness itself. I think it mostly helps for speeding up fin repair.

Jul 8, 2003
New Jersey
I basically threw out all my medication (goldfish stuff anyway) when I found out about Melafix. I only have Salt, all the neccessary chemicals, and Melafix. But I have tropical fish now.

2.5 Gal
10Gal
26 Bow Front Gal

Apr 13, 2003
South Dakota
Visit site
I think melafix is a joke. Never had any luck with it. In the end fish will still get sick and your water will stink like medicine. I personally think that the reason people think it works so well is cause it stinks like a medicine so people guess"ohh this must be really good stuff" However its nice that the manufaturer decided not to dump a bunch of dye in it to color up the tank. i hate that.

sailfin

sailfin...i could do with out the smell and I am not stupid enough to think because it smells it works.:rolleyes:

My scissortails had some sort of fin rot and the fins were taking a long time to heal. I put some melafix in and voila - three days or so later , fins were almost as good as new.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2003
South Dakota
Visit site
Leopardess,

Being stupid has nothing to do with it. I think people believe this stuff works because it stinks. I also think people see results because of a placibo (sugar pill) affect.

You put some in, and you see improvement, and you contribute it to the sugar pill, not the water changes.

Its cool you have opinions. Can I have one too?:)
BTW I don't think your stupid

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
I like the concept of Melafix, and yes I believe it does help with skin/fin healing. But again, its ability to treat and cure illness is limited, it is not some miracle preventative all natural cure. I think some of the LFS staff promote it as a cure-all and people like sailfin and myself are quite disappointed when we find our fish still get sick after we use it.

So far, of the 3 fish I have had get sick, 1 died with the all-natural treatment, 2 others are recovering (Rigel is still ill from ICK but it is almost all goine) using targeted medication.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2003
South Dakota
Visit site
placibo's are a fake pill. that researchers use when testing their meds. They take a group of people and offer half of them the real thing, and the other half gets the placibos. later the people doing the research ask all the participants if the meds helped them and if there were any side affects. In some cases the people that take the placibo will suggest they feel better, when in truth, its only mental for them. Likewise the placibo takers will sometimes complain of side affects, which too is all in their heads.

what I'm suggesting is that melafix doesn't fix anything, but because people pay good money for it, and it smells like meds, they believe the sugar pill/melafix is really doing something for their fish.

Feb 2, 2003
North Dakota
Well, all I know is that, with veil tail grown Angelfish it is hard to keep there tail long and heathy they are constantly getting ripped. Once, I had my largest veil Angel with a silver doller out of nessecity and he got a very larg rip in his tail almost all the way up. I used Melafix for a resonable amount of time, shorter then most other meds. and his tail grew back quickly. I've seem tail damege continue for what seems like forever, but when I put Melefix in they grow back constantly. So it must do somthing.

I don't just assume it helps my fish, I see actual physical growth.

Last edited:
I used Melafix for a week on a betta with torn fins. He died anyway, making him the fourth failed attempt at treating a damaged/sick fish. From now on, I'm sticking with my first thought on the issue, which is unless I'm rich (or stupid) enough to spend more than $10 on a fish, euthanasia and replacement is far more economical. And, the day I become emotionally attached to a fish is the day I check myself into either a psychiatric outpatient program or a Theravada Buddhist monastery.

Apr 13, 2003
South Dakota
Visit site
That's cool amazon that you saw results using melafix.

I'm surprised that something that only contains 1% of tea tree oil could have such a dramatic improvement on your fish.

How do you know it was the melfix that fixed it? I've had some of my fancy tail guppies get rips, and withing 3 or so days show remarkable healing without any melafix, just water changes and stresscoat.

i didn't mean it literally, sailfin, I was just saying...

Also, I didn't realize I wasn't giving you your opinion. I'm sorry if you felt that way.

I would not say it worked if it didn't. I have used it before in one tank, and not in another, and the one with melafix healed much faster.

As mentioned, it is NOT a preventive of all things bad in the fish world. I only use it to help heal fins, or after ich to help keep the wounds clean and healing.

I'm sorry it hasn't worked for you sailfin, I can't imagine why.

twinbot - why do you stay in the fish hobby if you don't get attached to your fish? If you didn't care at least a little (even if you won't admit it) you would not be at this site, trying to learn about how to keep them happy and healthy...

Sailfin - how do you know it isn't the melafix? How are you ccertain its the water changes and stress coat? How do you know stress coat makes a difference...and so on and so on. Also, you are knowledgeable about fish...you would know that fish are very perceptive to even teh slightest quantities of medications in the water...and if they can feel it, it can have an effect.

Last edited:

weasle

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
lol take a pill that has only 1% cyanide in it and see if you dont get sick...quantity has nothing to do with the potential of a medication.