Mega Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover - DIY!

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
I just priced out some led stuff on ebay. This is going to be enough for three projects as I all ready have one set-up going with 8 LED's that I am going to modify. The white LED's and lens's are for the display lighting. Here is the list.
Of course a small project would be cheaper. This is for two projects plus some.
10PCS 3W RED 80lm 650nm-660nm LED Plant Glow Light
Quantity: 1
US $20.00

10PCS 3W White LED 160lm w/ Alu. 20mm Star Base 6500-7500K (These need to be changed to at least the 12000K+ which is a little more money)
US $24.00

120° Optic wide LED lens-- 10 PCs
US $8.99

60° 5 PCs wide angle reflectors for 1W, 3W LED
Quantity 1
US $4.99

(10-18)x3W LED Light Driver IP67 Waterproof Power Supply DC36V~75V 680mA
US $14.99
Total $72.97 for this stuff free shipping.
I also have a driver for 7-10 LED's coming for $9.99 that I need before these listed above that will get ordered around the first of the year if not sooner.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
ok so u are going to completly build the led lighting yourself? not buying the fixture premade? i been planning on doing that for an led moonlighting setup for my tanks but just the acrylic trays cost me $80 to cut. and 20 leds per tray were going to be about 40 bucks with resistors. and they would run on standard cell phone chargers at 9-12vdc and up to 900ma. seems like u got a much better setup. once u build it u must show pics of the build cause it seems realy good and i may build the same thing or something similar. :)

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
I am not using any resistors, I have been using the drivers made for the LED's. Many of them are rated for the number of 3 watt or 1 watt LED's they can run. If you get a driver that flashes is needs more LED's. For the heat sinks I use the Lowes aluminum "C" ("U") channel found in the hardware section in the metal/aluminum section display bin. I use the 3/4" wide stuff and it works great without a fan, I have used the 5/8" as well but, the 3/4" keeps cooler. For mounting the LED's I use the two sided thermal adhesive stickers from rapidled.com. With these parts I am going to add some LED lighting to my 40G SW as I did my 10G SW and get ready to change all my scrubbers to LED when the new technology scrubber is revealed.
EDIT: I am also using plastic eves-trough as a housing for my LED's fixtures that is lined with the plastic mirror sheets for the reflector.

Last edited:

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
u so need to post pics and where u get everything. cause that seems alot better, and i have some old t8 housings from when i converted all my tanks over to t5 so i can use them as the housings for the LED and i have mirrored mylar i can use as a reflector. u definatly got a better idea for a setup then i do :)