Mega Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover - DIY!

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
well the problem with those snails is the mucus web can get on the corals and i think irritate them and can cause them not to open and things to that nature and they are also not that great to look at. I get blooms of them here and there but just like u they were all over the tank at one point, also had a jelly fish polup issue as well, they were popping up all over the place but those too finally died off. i've noticed with saltwater that populations tend to come and go for a while till everything seems to balance itself out.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
That is GREAT GROWTH!!! You might try to get the screen out of the water and put the lights going perpendicular to the screen versus the 45 degree angle. This will get more of the light on the screen and less in the sump. You do not want your sump competing with your screen. I have my screen just touching the water so its quiet when the water falls off of it into the sump area. Nice nitrate reading to!!

just_jack

Small Fish
Oct 4, 2011
New Hampshire
ok i will do that w/the lights ty, actualy i like the flow and when i clean it i will simply trim it to the water line it will make my life easier rather then trying to re-dial the flow all over.

Last edited:

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
I figured it looked easier to trim it. It looks like it has perfect flow by the growth you have. I was so skeptical when I first saw this but, I was at my end of the rope with SW that I almost just gave up again but, decide to build one just for spite. I am now sure glad I did, now I have successful SW tanks. I even have one on my 150G FW tank as well.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
Its the same way. Although the FW algae is very stringy so I would recommend a huge 2" pipe for a drain or an emergency one located up higher. I have dual screens on my 150G. I also feel the FW needs a larger screen then the SW does, so if you build one try to use a full screen if you can. I have almost two full screens on my 150G and I think It needs more. I use to do two weekly water changes with it, now I only have to do one about every three weeks!!! What a relief!! I also found that I have to clean the FW screen more often, like every 4-6 days, where my SW is every 6-8 days.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
Its the same way. Although the FW algae is very stringy so I would recommend a huge 2" pipe for a drain or an emergency one located up higher. I have dual screens on my 150G. I also feel the FW needs a larger screen then the SW does, so if you build one try to use a full screen if you can. I have almost two full screens on my 150G and I think It needs more. I use to do two weekly water changes with it, now I only have to do one about every three weeks!!! What a relief!! I also found that I have to clean the FW screen more often, like every 4-6 days, where my SW is every 6-8 days.
Wow water changes that often? I do a monthly 25% and a 6 month 50% water change in my tanks. been that way for about the past 2 years and my water is always crystal clear with no odor and my fish thrive in it. maybe i'm lucky or something but i know i hear people saying they do weekly and i think thats excesive myself.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
ammonia 0ppm, nitrites 0ppm, nitrates 0-5ppm, phosphate 0-.25ppm, ph 8.4! things are looking good but all the sudden i have had a major spike in cyno bacteria. it's starting to cover everything in just the past couple days and still getting pretty decent algea growth in the tank. tank gets about 6-10 hours of light a day. thinking about cutting back. getting frustrated here lol, every time i think i got things figured out i end up going back to square 1. is this just a time thing now, just have to wait till everything gets balanced out with this new scrubber?

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
also i just cleaned my screen and the algea was kinda odd. it was a realy firm dense mat and almost like a gell feel to it, the videos and pics i see it appears to be more stringy then what i have. also it was a realy dark green, not bright green. is there possibly something wrong with my setup?