Marineland Stealth heater malfunctions

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Hey:
Last night I happened to put my hand in my tank to move a plant and the water was awfully cold. Checked the thermometer, and sure enough, the temp was way off. Turns out my heater just up and stopped working. Seems there is a recall on the product - and I was 'lucky' that it just stopped working, instead of exploding or electrocuting my fish.
New Fluval heater in tank this morning, fish seem okay, and my lfs will be getting a replacement heater from Marineland for me - it has a lifetime warranty. Oh well - now I'll have a backup heater.
If you have a Stealth Pro heater, Marineland will replace it for you, even if it hasn't stopped functioning properly. FYI . . . . .

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Yep. There have been a huge recall on Marineland Stealth Pro-Heaters. Especially the 100 watt one. They are recalling it because a lot of people are returning them saying that it stopped working, exploded, or killed all their fish due to electrocution. Be careful with those things. A lot of places have them on sale for dirt cheap prices because of that.

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
I just called Marineland. They're sending me replacements for one 50w, two 100w, and two 200w heaters. The replacements will be Visa-Therm deluxe. I prefer the Stealth, since it is shatter proof and is easier to conceal, but having a potential fire hazard is not something I want to worry about.

Heaters should be here in 2-3 weeks. After I receive them I have to call back and make arrangements to return the old ones.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
When I took my old one back to my lfs, the owner was there and she just refunded me the original purchase price. Cool. So happy that I wasn't out of town or something when mine failed . . . . Glad that you are getting yours replaced Tom!

Feb 27, 2009
I returned all 8 of mine to the online store I had purchased them from (some were 4+ years old) for a refund, no questions asked (and they sent me a pre-paid shipping label for the heaters to be returned).