Lost my pumpkinseed!

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
I've been on vacation since Wednesday. I came home today to the most nasty smelling house. having years of fisheries and aquarium work under my belt, i instantly knew that a fish had died. i had no idea my pumpkinseed was going to the be the one i'd lose.

i've had my pumpkinseed since 2004 when i collected him out of a local stream in mystic, ct. he was only an inch or so when i got him.. nearly 3" when he died. bummer!

my fiance's mom came by on thursday evening to get our mail and feed my fish. she had said that the house was unbearably hot inside, which it has been for a few weeks now.

my pumpkinseed had definitly been dead for at least two days. it was decaying (yuck) and was puffy and his eyeballs fell out (double yuck!). i found that my filter (rena xp2) intake line was kinked. i have to believe that the lack of filtration might have been the culprit? lack of circulation mixed with hot weather may have done him in, since sunnies are a cooler water fish. the otos are fine. my bluegill sunfish in my 10G is fine.

so now i've been doing a massive water change and i have incense going in every room to try to combat the smell. ugh.

not what i wanted to come home to after a great vacation!!!

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
that sucks. I have been thinking of getting one myself. Does anyone think one wolud go ok in my 55 with my cichlids? I was thinking about 2-3 incher but recently I have only caught ones between 5-8 inches and I know that is to big. tasty but to big

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
yeah i'm totally bummed. my 20g is so empty now w/ just the otos. i'll probably transfer my bluegill from my 10G to the 20G. but, i was also thinking about adding a school of harlequin rasboras or a school of some other small tropicals instead. i donnow.

i did take advantage of the situation to re-scape the tank...

exhumed, i'm not sure how a sunnie will act around your cichlids. you could always try a 2-3" one and see what happens. my pumpkinseed was very terretorial and aggressive and did not like tankmates.