Kribensis Pregnant.

Dan Steveo

Large Fish
Apr 1, 2006
South England UK
Damn, i didn't wanna scare her and i told my family to leave them alone too, Got home today and there's no eggs on the outside of the cave wall. It's just over 2 days so they could have hatched, I'm hoping that they've moved them into the cave. I hope this is the case as the male was guarding the entrance...

But the female is still outside fanning nothing, And then she pecks at the wall of the cave where the eggs were... Is it more likely that she ate them, i can't just pull up the caves... Well i could but should i wait..? I'll have a good look in the morning and watch their behaviour.

Dan Steveo

Large Fish
Apr 1, 2006
South England UK
Ok Update,

I don't wanna put my hands in there and move the caves to see inside, i think that'll be bad, If i took a look and i did see some babies and i put them in my net would they do ok? as long as there's an air stone in there?

I wanna just leave it though and see if there are any, the female is still outside fanning nothing and occasionally swims around the tank, and the male would find her and bring her back, and then she'd continue, but most of the time he protects the inside of the cave.

Is it possible that she's fanning the last few till they hatch and the rest are in the cave?

i dunno what to think, but i can't see them guarding nothing.. unless they're deranged, or she's eaten them and the male is just forcing her to stay...

ANY IDEAS?

Thanks =]

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
i would just relax dad

you are like the new daddy who wakes up the baby to make sure it is still alive then you get stuck with screaming baby all night... screaming baby who was sleeping peacefully till you disturbed it

so don't pester just resist the urge :)

HEADIN

Large Fish
Aug 9, 2010
Perfect words there!
Let them be and let them do wat they do. Let nature take its.

If theres babies they'll look after them.

Just observe and you'll know soon enough.

Dan Steveo

Large Fish
Apr 1, 2006
South England UK
Ok i was thinking along all of those lines, thanks though guys,

I'm sure there is now as he's sitting with his head poking out of the cave 24/7 and i'm sure i saw a baby hehe, little round yolk sac. haha.

Anyway, i'll try and get some pics when they start swimming, it's impossible to get a shot in that cave now...

Apr 1, 2006
South England UK
ok UPDATE:

i saw both parents swimming together on the opposite side of the tank, neither guarding eggs or anything. with no evidence of it i had to put an end to the tension, i tore the whole cave apart, the entire side of the tank, everywhere......

nothing to be seen at all, she ate em all.

However she seems to be fattening up again (she was extremely skinny earlier and she ate the eggs about 2 days ago) I think they're gunna be at it again soon, any idea how long before there ready to again?

Thanks....

Dan

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
You might want to start a journal to keep track of the different stages of breeding, and see what their pattern is. I did when my angels started breeding - pretty soon I realized I could have set a clock by them, they were so consistent!

HEADIN

Large Fish
Aug 9, 2010
That could well have been 1 of their first times laying eggs or could be due to the new environment that it wasnt a success.

They usually catch on pretty quick though and will get it right for you.