Kenny's 5.5gal of WONDER!!

Apr 14, 2008
Well, I resetup this tank yesterday! I've been thinking of ideas for it and have come to the conclusion that....IT HAS NO FISH!! LOL

Right now, it's just some Java Moss, 2 Crypt Pontederiifolia's, 1 Anubias Nana, &, 2x Green Hygros...

I'm going to have a picture up in a little while, but wanted to get this thread going.

I'm going to go do a 90% WC on it and tidy it up.

But, until I get some px up, can you guys give me some good ideas for fish?

Thnx,
Kenny

Apr 14, 2008
I've actually been considering that. I'm going to buy a 52gal Flat-Back Hex, and I was thinking about putting them in there when that is setup. Another option I think is Glofish. Those are REALLY cool! Then there are bettas...Hmmmm.... If it wasn't being planted, I'd have a crayfish, but I suppose my 10G can go for one...

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
I wouldnt go with hatchets in a 5.5 gal. they need way more.
5.5 would be cool for a betta female (or male)
or cherry shrimp...
what shape is it? Hex? (sorry i forget easily)
cant wait for pics :)

Apr 14, 2008
Hatchets would be sweet, but this tank is open top, so I can't have something that scares easily...

Newman, I FINALLY dismantled and ditched the 5galHEX for killing soo many fish and this tank is a rectangular...ummm...16"xsomething...LOL

I'm very tempted by a Betta, Some Guppies, &, some Glofish....but that would force me into buying a new filter. *Angrily Mutters*

As soon as my stupid birthday passes, I'm going to buy the fish, E. Tenellus 'Micro', Crypt. Parva, Crypt. Petchii, Dwarf Hairgrass, Water Wisteria, Sunset Hygro, & Red Ludwiga. I want this tank to be a a forest...But as I think...a few of those might be exited out in favor of harder to grow plants. Having ~5WPG, This tank can grow almost ANY plant!

Apr 14, 2008
No, it's just 1x T8 25W...

This is how the tank USED to look:

Very pretty. Plants grew like weeds...Inhabitants were 1 Betta & 1 Platy...+ snails

Co2 is coming soon & I dose Tetra FloraPride which seems to grow all my tanks' plants like weeds. The only thing is, this light grows plants without any real supplemental ferts...Tho...I DID have fish...

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
I think you might be getting less than 5wpg from a T-8. and especially not if your reflectors arent HO.

Great to hear that your plants grow well :)
Only thing that seems to grow in my tank is the cabomba. two of my anubias began to rot cuz they got covered in cabomba :p

Apr 14, 2008
I was thinking that...but the plants grow well enough. ;) Tho, I DID DIY it and put in a different Reflector...So far....it hasn't caught fire, so I'm taking that as a good sign!

Apr 14, 2008
Awww...the fire keeps me warm! LOL Besides, it's right above water. What the worst thing that could happen!? LOL J/K [Watch....it's going to do that tonight. If it burns anything, it BETTER be this laptop!!] LOL

Apr 14, 2008
Soooo...I put some native Red Root Floater, Salvinia, Duckweed and then 2 Amazon Swords in here. They are all just growing till I figure out a 'scape for this beast.

I'm kinda thinking the 2 new goldfish can go in here to QT them for a bit....I'm not sure though....Thinking about doing another 90% WC [water is pretty cloudy] or tearing it down and cleaning it really good. I'm not sure WHY the water is cloudy, but if I wash the gravel, that might help.

OH, BTW: The president visited my town! How exciting... ;)

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
Hatchets would be sweet, but this tank is open top, so I can't have something that scares easily...

Newman, I FINALLY dismantled and ditched the 5galHEX for killing soo many fish and this tank is a rectangular...ummm...16"xsomething...LOL

I'm very tempted by a Betta, Some Guppies, &, some Glofish....but that would force me into buying a new filter. *Angrily Mutters*

As soon as my stupid birthday passes, I'm going to buy the fish, E. Tenellus 'Micro', Crypt. Parva, Crypt. Petchii, Dwarf Hairgrass, Water Wisteria, Sunset Hygro, & Red Ludwiga. I want this tank to be a a forest...But as I think...a few of those might be exited out in favor of harder to grow plants. Having ~5WPG, This tank can grow almost ANY plant!

I love e. tennellus micro!!! I have so much of it growing in my 100g. It needs a lot of fe and good lighting for the red/pink color.

I think the sunset hygro looks amazing as well. It's running wild in my 10g. Since it's a nutrient hog, it's keeping most of the algae away too. Just a word of caution though. It's a federal noxious weed, so it's illegal to ship across state borders, and there's a handful of states it's illegal to own in.

Apr 14, 2008
K. Sent the PM and the reply. ;)

Well, I did it! I took the tank down, cleaned the gravel and refilled it. It's not done, but there isn't THAT many plants that are relying on me. They're just chilling in the 1gal until I wash THEM off. IDK WHY I had a bacterial bloom like that? Oh well, Px will be up soon as I'm working on that too! I figured out I'm going to put Titan [short name] in here so I can ditch the rest of the 2.5's. Titan is a Male Veiltail Betta. He's actually my mom's birthday fish that I bought for her, so I'm just going to take care of him.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
once you add the plants, maybe lower the diffusor a bit to the bottom, so the bubles will be in contact with the water longer as they float up. this helps dissolve the co2 more.

Those rocks are kinda small dont you think? the plants are gonna grow right over them. Interesting orange rock choice tho :)

Apr 14, 2008
Well, it is just a 5.5gal, so I kinda thought the rocks would fit in. If this 'scape fails, I'm not sure the direction I want to go, but I wanted to atleast try it.

BTW: The rock is lava rock.

All the plants are back in...but most are only temp. They'll be moving to the other tanks.

Apr 14, 2008
I wasn't thinking about moss, but there is a GINORMOUS.....BLOB, of it in my 10. I guess I could use that...It's just Java Moss tho, so I think I should try something like Flame Moss?

Titan is doing good BTW...He ate and is hunting. I put in the snails from his old tank, but they were small.