Keeping my new bristlenose pleco happy

eah

Small Fish
Jun 4, 2006
Mass
I've been reading just about everything I can over the past few weeks about plecos and have recently purchased a BN pleco. Right now, he's in my 10 gallon QT tank. Inside the QT tank are an array of plants, lots of green algae, and a medium sized piece of driftwood. As I'm typing, he is happy attached to the side of my tank working away. I'll be moving him into my regular 30 gallon tank after a few weeks (I really like to quarantine them for a long time). Here's a photo of his "final destination":

Here are the water parameters of both tanks:
10 gallon QT tank - PH 7.2, Nitrates 10 ppm, Ammonia and Nitrites 0 ppm, temp 76
30 gallon - same, except nitrates are at 5.0 ppm

As you can see from the photo, I have a nice large piece of driftwood in the tank. There is not much algae growing in the 30 gallon, but there are some plants. So, I plan to supplement his diet with algae wafers and other things. My question is about what "other things" I should be feeding this guy. I've read that you can feed them blanched zuccini and cucumbers, which are both more readily available for me than other veggies (except spinach, which I've never seen recommended as fish food, so I'm not planning to feed it). I do not want this ugly little guy to die, so I'd really like to make sure that I'm doing everything I can to keep him happy. I've ordered some sinking shrimp pellets for the common goldies he's sharing the tank with (you can see them in the photo -- they're the little gold blobs). Will he eat those too? Will they be a good supplement to his diet?

When it comes time to transfer him from the QT tank to the 30 gallon, what is the lowest stress method of doing that for my situation? Both tanks are in the same room, about ten feet from each other. Also, other than regular water changes, good diet, hiding places in the tank, and steady temperature in the mid 70s, what else should I be doing to keep him happy?

eah

Small Fish
Jun 4, 2006
Mass
PlecoCollector said:
A cave or something for him to hide in during the day might be nice though, considering they like the dark :)
I was hoping that the drift would might provide enough hiding space. The piece I have in my QT tank is actually a bit cave-like and now that he's finally found the driftwood he's hanging out in there. I have one more piece of driftwood on order that should be arriving on Wednesday. I'm going to put it in the 30 gallon tank propped up on my existing piece to provide maximal dark hiding spots.

Any advice about the actual transfer? Should I just scoop him up in my net and then walk him across the room and drop him in the other tank? The water parameters are very similar, I'm just nervous about stressing him. Also, what about the shrimp pellets... will he eat those?

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
I agree with PC. You have pretty much covered your bases. And a cave would be nice. He is going to LOVE getting Zucchini but make sure that you remove what ever doesnt get eaten. As far as moving him from one tank I would net him and walk him over to the other tank, instead of netting him once and putting him in water and then netting him again. Check your temps before the move though. One degree (two at most) should affect him but if its any different then I would acclimate him first.

BTW Your tank looks really nice and clean!! *thumbsups

eah

Small Fish
Jun 4, 2006
Mass
guppy_newbe said:
I agree with PC. You have pretty much covered your bases. And a cave would be nice. He is going to LOVE getting Zucchini but make sure that you remove what ever doesnt get eaten.
Do you recommend using a vegetable clip? Also, I was reading another thread regarding blanching vs. freezing. Why is this required and what do you think is better?

guppy_newbe said:
As far as moving him from one tank I would net him and walk him over to the other tank, instead of netting him once and putting him in water and then netting him again. Check your temps before the move though. One degree (two at most) should affect him but if its any different then I would acclimate him first.
Thanks for the advice. I have some more accurate thermometers on order after reading about how inaccurate the strips on the outside of the tank are. I will be sure they are within 1 degree of each other before the big move.

guppy_newbe said:
BTW Your tank looks really nice and clean!! *thumbsups
Thanks! *SUPERSMIL

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
I dont think its necessary to use a clip. It would probably make it easier on him not to. I just use fresh zucchini and boil it till its almost clear and then put it in the tank after is cools. Im not sure there, sry.