Just for My Fishtank.net

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
Does it include a device that holds H2O???? Will it have circulating H2O in it???? Sweet!!!! I just got my DIY LED finished for my 40G, well part of it, the front Half of the LED fixture. Here is a few snap shots with the Droid. I am finally getting through my power failure crash from a few weeks ago. You can see my new Brain/Hard Coral combo I bought. This is the first coral to be in here since the crash. All the fish did fine thankfully. As you can see the algae is just about gone to! The algae scrubber is starting to catch up finally after the crash and its growing really nice thick algae on the screen so the display algae is receding very fast, I expect it gone in a week or so.
The third pic is with the fixture cover so the light is more intense the the first two pics. You can see my budget eves trough cover LOL.
2012-02-12_08-05-37_694.jpg
2012-02-12_08-05-50_919.jpg
2012-02-12_14-38-55_880.jpg

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
I was :( supposed to get the part of my light rack that holds the LED lights yesterday and wanted to post pics of it hanging over the stand, that didn't happen. Speaking of algae scrubbers though, that is something I want to add to my tank set up when I have a routine down when the new tank is up and running. Figured I would have enough on my plate for awhile without throwing an algae scrubber into the mix. I am in a small local forum run by our LFS and one of the members with a 300g mixed reef tank has a algae scrubber set up on his tank. He bought it from the guy that runs the post in this forum on algae scrubbers, think he paid $400 for it. The scrubber he bought looks really good and built very good. Was wondering though, can I feed water to the algae scrubber thru the manifold that I have feeding my reactors? I have one space open on the maniflod. I might have to increase the pump size to feed the algae scrubber though, if I can feed it thru the manifold.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
I sure hope you get your LED deal real soon!!
I do not see why not, as long as it water from the tank and not out of the reactor. I am on algaescrubber.net to. I am Kerry on that site. You can DIY your own. Hold off for a bit if you want to see the new technology coming out. We should be testing by sometime in March. If not the technology they have now works great and I love the fact I was able to remove that stupid skimmer deal!! I am to the point now that none of my new SW tanks even have a sump any more because of the scrubber. Check these links out for some reading New sizing guidelines and Algae Scrubber Basics: The Summary

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
Hummm, the water from the manifold, while it dosn't come straight out of a reactor, it is coming out of the same chamber in my sump that has the return lines from all three reactors running on my system , the last chamber is the return pump and line to the display tank. So the water feeding the manifold has been run thru the GFO / Carbon reactor and thru the Bio Pellet reactor, once the Bio Pellet is online and running. The man with the, sorry not a 300g tank but a 210g tank, has his algae scrubber setting on top of his display tank. Does that make a differance?

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
I would take water that is right from the tank or sump area be for it goes to any other devices with any media or other material in it. You can put the scrubber anywhere really. It just needs to be in a safe place and easy access of course. You maybe able to run it off the drain or the first chamber of the sump that is just tank water. In this pic: http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr67/strout2009/DSC_2725.jpg . You maybe able to use the water from this pipe or pump on the right.

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
Had the day off today, oh yea am off tommrow also and the next day. I got alot done on the tank build today and only have a few minor things left to do tommrow. Lets see, got the screen top made for the quarantine tank, cut a hole in the back of the stand to run the power cord from the power strip to the wall plug, cut a hole in the back of the stand to run the MP40s thru, mounted the MP40 controls under the stand, cut the hole in the stand top to run the drain and return lines thru, had to guesstamate where this needed to be but I can't be that far off as long as they put the overflow box in the center of the back panel of the tank. Then finished up with some touch up painting. I forgot to put the flow control knob on the carbon reactor when I mounted that a few days ago, need to do that tommrow. The valve on the manifold my be sufficient enought to control the flow, but I have the one that came with the reactor so I might as well use it, just in case. Thought I would have the part of my light rack that holds the LEDs back by now but I don't, should get that back this week. Still don't have my 20amp wall plug done yet Had one person supposed to do it, talked to another person about doing it, and neither have made it over to the house. Bit of a rant here: Its not like I am asking them to do this for free, I am going to pay them, I have run the wires for the most part. I have the wall box mounted, ran the wire down the wall and out the box, I have the rest of the wire sitting up in the attic above where the panel box is located. All they have to do is drill a hole in the 2x4 above the panel box, run the wire into the panel box hook it up and hook up the wall plug, done. Guess they just don't need the money Rant over :) I have a friend that made my acrylic top off tank, may talk to him about making a algae scrubber.

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
He's coming tommrow to do the wall outlet. Hope I have some good news to report Thursday. Tank was supposed to ship today, haven't heard anything :(

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
My coral plan is mostly all SPS corals for the tank, maybe a Chalice or two down the road. My plan is to have mostly the higher end corals in the tank, the choice pieces from several online webs sites. I have been planning this for awhile and have a list, will most likely never get all of these, but you have to have a list or you will impulse buy :) There are a few more, but this list will most likely over fill a 150g tank.

Rocky Mountain Frags:
Blueberry Special
Red Robin Stag
Ultimate Red Acro

Battle Corals:
Shawn Bennet Yellow Tort
Aussie Highlighter
Fosters Supper Blue
Battlebaby Blue

Pro Corals:
PC Rainbow Acro
PC Superman Table Acro
Strawberry Fields
PC Blue Flame
ORA Pearlberry
ORA Red Planet
Palmers Blue Millepora
Garf Purple Bonsai
ORA Pearlberry

Atlantis Aquariums:
Rommels Rainbow Acro "never in stock"
Vanuatu Pink Lemonade "never in stock"
ATL Ultimate Stag "never in stock"

Reef Exotic:
Rainbow Acro
Watermellon Staghorn Acro

Wet Thumbs:
Mother of Pearl Acro "on my must have list"
Candy Bar Acro
Copper Milli
Ferrari Yellow Acro

I have 3 corals on my must have list:
Mother of Pearl Acro Wet Thumbs
Purple Monster Acro
Red Dragon Acro

How that for a list *twirlysmi My plan :) Start at the bottom and work my way up the list.

Last edited:

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
Very nice!!! You will have a GREAT looking tank. I love those Acro's. I bought one just about 12 hours before I had my power outage crash and it didn't make, I lost that Blue Acro and Long Tentacle plate coral. I hear ya on the impulse buying. I hate to see people buying coral or even fish and they have to ask the people there what it is!!!! That just drives me crazy!!! How is your electric project going?

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
Waiting for the electrician to call me and tell me he is on the way, as I type this. I think he will call around 10am. Have a local reefer that is going to let me use two of his extra 32g Brute cans to make more RO water in, that should be all I need. That coral list is what I am going to try and stick with :( if I can figure out a way to get them without using my credit card. Don't need the wife knowing how much they cost :) most of them aren't that cheap, but I kinda don't want to stock my tank with corals that everyone has. Want something that when the time comes to frag, I won't have a problem getting rid of. All of this is dependant on me being able to keep them alive :)

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
Corals are easy keep with the scrubber as this allows you to feed a lot!! Do you have a PayPal account? I put my hobby money there as most websites take PayPal so its very convenient and fast to pay. I understand the wife thing and do not try to hide the cost of this stuff but I do not go put it out there either. She never really checks the PayPal stuff anyhow.
I use those brute cans to, they work very nice.

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
To tired to mess with it right now, was a pain getting the wire from the attic into the panel box, was hot up there to. Rhen I had to put a coat of paint on the light rack LED holder. I have those hanging though. Will get the lights lite tommrow and have the wife take a pic.

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
The lights were supposed to be hung to the underside of the rack. The screws on the LEDs were supposed to be run through a piece of angle steel to attach them to the rack. The man who made the light rack didn't place the steel in the right place to do this, so we had to modify it to make it work. Its all good though, its working. I measured it, I can place the lights a max off the top of the tank at 18 inches, more than enough. Bring on the tank.