Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I decided to test again tonight.
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 4
Nitrate- 5
pH- 7.5

Well my ammonia seems to disappeared. The cycle is coming along. I'm adding more ammonia back to the tank now to get it back up to 5ppm and I will test it again in a day or two and see what happens.

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Alright well I will first start off with my test results from tonight so you can see how my cycle is coming along. Does it seem like my cycle is coming along properly?
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 4
Nitrate- 5
pH- 7.5

The results haven't seemed to change in the past couple days. The ammonia did disappear again however which I know is a good thing. Hopefully my nitrite will start to lower soon as well.

Alright now part two to this post. My driftwood has been soaking since Saturday and the water no long seems to be tinted from the wood being in the bucket. So now its time to put it in the water! :D

I have been wanting to rearrange the rocks in my tank as well so I decided since I was getting my hands wet to put the driftwood in that I would change the rocks around and swap one or two of them out. I didn't like the way I had the rocks just sitting on top of the gravel earlier so this time I dug into the substrate then put the rocks in and filled in around them so the rocks appear to be more a part of the scenery and look a little more natural. I also took the suggestion of using my driftwood to help hide the intake for my filter. So now for a few pictures of my new arrangement.

Alright so first here is a FTS with my air pump running. Again I decided to hide the airstone under the rocks so its not sticking out.

Here is a FTS without the air running. This is how my tank will normally look. I currently have my timers set so the airstone comes on about an hour before the lights go out and then it shuts off about the same time as the lights coming on.

And finally here is a close up picture of the rock work and driftwood.

I would love any suggestion, comments, constructive criticism or anything really. I kinda like my new setup now but I may change it around again if anybody suggests something that sounds like I may like.

I think this arrangement is going to give an open area for the fish to swim around the rocks and the right side will probably be more heavily planted. I think I'm going to put some hornwort in the corner on the left to hide the airline you see going in and I will probably tie some java moss on the large rocks I have on the bottom of the tank.

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
From the sounds of things I have heard I should let my tank cycle then put plants in. If it is safe to put plants in now I will go and pick some stuff up tomorrow and get it all started.

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Plants were made for cycling tanks...errr, avoiding tank cycles completely!
So it would be good for me to go ahead and start adding some plants in this weekend then? If so how should I fertilize? I have a bottle of Flourish and a bottle of Flourish Excel. Should I add some of both or just add one or the other in? Thanks for the help Avalon! :D

Thanks for the comment d3s3nt7! Its been tough just letting my tank go empty, but at least I had my snail to add some joy LMAO

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
Add plants immediately. You won't need to fertilize for a couple of weeks. When the plants have acclimated and begin to produce new growth, you may begin fertilization. Just keep in mind the plants won't be in full 'growth' swing and will not require as much fertilizer as a mature plant. Use half doses and step it up accordingly.

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Add plants immediately. You won't need to fertilize for a couple of weeks. When the plants have acclimated and begin to produce new growth, you may begin fertilization. Just keep in mind the plants won't be in full 'growth' swing and will not require as much fertilizer as a mature plant. Use half doses and step it up accordingly.
Do I use both the Flourish and the Flourish Excel or should I just use one?
edit: should I still add ammonia for the cycle once plants are in there as well?

d3sc3n7... from now on this tank is my fault and no longer yours. :p

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
You don't need anything for a while. You will not need to add ammonia. The plants will pull the nitrogen out of the water and start growing. Once the new growth starts, you can add Excel in full doses. I would actually wait until there is a plant deficiency to start fertilizing...in other words, let them grow all they can until they begin they show signs of poor growth or poor color.

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Do the rocks make a cave like formation? If i were you i would turn it around that way if you get a pair of cockatoo apistos that can be there breeding cave!
Now I'm going to have to think about this again. I was trying to figure out how to make a cave with my rocks without using tons of rocks and having them take up half my tank, but now I will have to see if I can figure out how to get that arranged. :D

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
You don't need anything for a while. You will not need to add ammonia. The plants will pull the nitrogen out of the water and start growing. Once the new growth starts, you can add Excel in full doses. I would actually wait until there is a plant deficiency to start fertilizing...in other words, let them grow all they can until they begin they show signs of poor growth or poor color.
Alright I will do that for sure then. I added more ammonia tonight already for the cycle, but I imagine it should be ok to still put plants in sometime this weekend?

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Its kind of a cave but its very small. Is pretty much just hiding the small airstone from view. I might be able to turn it around though and still figure out a way to hide the airstone too. I will work on that later tonight or tomorrow.