Ishar's 20GH Planted tank

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
thanks Ken :D. With any luck I won't lose much of the windelov I separated- apparently the rhizomes need a few leaves on it to survive... but I have a few sort of big sections with no leaves on them- I hope they grow a few :(

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
Well on another note, I am getting the feeling that the flow rediretor I put on my tank is have detrimental effects. Because the outflow is directed across the surface rather than downwards, the flow is reduced through the tank, allowing my plants to root more easily. That is good. However, because the CO2 is injected into the filter, that means that the CO2 is not getting down into the tank (this is my prediction anyways). I believe my suspicion to be confirmed as I notice that some of my plants pearl- but only above about the halfway mark of the tank. I am going to take off the redirector and see what happens. I can always put it back on if there is no real change.

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
UPDATE

I dosed 5mL of excel yesterday to help fight this green fuzzy stuff that is taking over my tank again, and have not noticed any decrease in algae, but I did notice some melting on my vals which are starting to grow quite well now. My C02 is what is causing th problem I believe as it is always giving a different rate of CO2 production. I am going to post another thread askign for some advice about getting rid of the DIY for a few months until I can get pressurized C02. Other than that my plants are growing well and my fish are growing nicely.

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
UPDATE

I have decreased my nitrogen dosing dramatically, back to the Seachem suggested dosing. I did this to fend off the green algae which is apparently not a CO2 problem but a macro imbalance problem. So I have done that. My vals did a bit of melting, but I think they are stopping melting nd are just growing again- thankfully.

After only one day of reduced N dosing, I think, unless I am crazy or seeing things, the algae is starting to disappear. I can see leaf on my anubias again and the threads on the vals are not so long any more. Hopefully I am neither of the things I suggested lol.

My glosso is not fairing very well. I fear that I may have damage a lot of them during planting, squishing the roots and cutting them too short perhaps. I am finally starting to see some growth though so it is encouraging, but I still feel bad though. But I learned from it, so that's the important part i guess :).

The pieces of my windelov fern that just had a rhizome are starting to send up a leaf or two each :D I am also getting new leaves sprouting from the other, full sized pieces. I am glad that they are spreading, as that was sot of the whole point of all of that work spreading them out around the tank.

Last edited:

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
Well here is a bit of an update for whoever is keeping up with it all. I apoligize for the lack of pictures lately, but things haven't really changed a whole lot that a picture would show.

Well I upped the dose of Nitrogen a bit because I noticed my Anubias Nana, my beautiful anubias, has one leaf going quite yellow :(, and my nana petite has one leaf rotting away. So I upped it gradually, by .25mL per day. The rotala was also losing its pink, but I am not so sure that is a N issue, but as long as it survives I don't care so much what colour it is.

My windelov is doing something totally unexpected. The last week or so, it has started sending out baby plants off of the main plant's leaves! I have like 10 or so new windelov plants growing in, with healthy roots so far, and a few little baby leaves. This whole time I have had them I have had two baby plants grow- one is growing very slowly and the other had to be discarded long ago. So I am pretty excited about that.

The algae in my tank had subsided and my tanks was almost clear, but suddenly I am having a new outbreak. The same light green hairy algae is back on the glass of the tank- likely from the additional N in the water, but I also have this dark green, short growing fuzzy looking algae on my anubias and rocks and filter intake tube. I haven't done a w/c for two weeks now (sort of busy with school and I know they are fine for that long) but when I do this weekend I will rub it and see if it comes off.

Um, my guppy fry are doing amazing. The male born in October is doign very well, all coloured up, and I have one born much more recently, and he is AMAZINGLY coloured. I wish I could get a good pic of him- you'd all love him.

My new otto is loving the tank I think, and he looks good and healthy, so thankfully I think he has survived the acclimation period :D.

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Hopefully more N will help your plants out and bring back some of the color in your rotala.

That sucks to hear about the algae starting to grow in the tank again.

I look forward to seeing some new pictures.

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
ishar, how about I just pay you to do the aquascaping on my tanks! :D lol.

I wanted to take the same route you've taken, but I LOVE my cories sooo much, that I don't think a fully covered tank would work for me.

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
lol I am flattered emmanuel :p. If you ever have any questions about aquascaping or anything, just send me a picture of the tank and maybe a list of euiment of the tank and I'd be glad to give any help that I can.

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
Well I snapped a quick picture before the water change today and I thought I would post 'er up (sorry but this one is likely the winner for "Kyle's worst picture yet" contest). I didn't realize it until today, but my leopard vals are at the top and are growing across the surface! This is such good news because they melted a bit with the excel and my terrible luck with vals before, so I am really happy about that! My jungle vals are still stunted or something, and are just surviving rather than growing, but that is fine- as long a they don't die there is always hope.

The extra nitrogen has brought back the colour in my rotala quite quickly, but it hasn't helped my anubias as of yet. My hairgrass is sending out new runners all over the place, so hopefully it won't be too much longer until the hairgrass fills in :).

Last edited:

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
Well I went to the LFS today. I wanted to pick up a new plant as I am slightly losing interest in my tank due to pressures of school, and I didn't see too much I liked. But I saw an onion bulb with a really healthy looking bulb on it, and good leaves to accompany it. I thought hey, why not though a bit more variety into my val section. So I grabbed one bulb and planted it into a vacant space amongst the vals- pretty well back-center of the tank.

Also, when perusing the fish tanks I saw a tank of GBRs. I always saw them and they didn't look too special, but this time there was one with a good orange colored fin and good coloring on his sides. I figured if I am ever going to get on it will be one like him, so why not snag it?

So I added a GBR who isn't even 1" yet and a Crinum thaianum bulb. Both very healthy looking specimens :D. I may add a picture later once the ram is acclimated, but it will be another laptop pic of the whole tank, so nothing special.

So that brings my Fauna list to 1 GBR, 5 neon tetras, a bunch of fancy guppies, 2 female amano shrimp and 1 oto.

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
Well here are the pics- and I think they turned out ok :)

Overall tank shots: see the new bulb in the middle with the bright green ribbon-like leaves?

GBR Pictures: he/she is already colouring up a bit! I can see his/her blue sparkles already and the orange coming back

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
thanks BV :).

A few days ago, I fed a sinking pellet and I didn't like what I saw- I saw a tonne of small guppies crowding the food. Some got huge bellies and others didn't eat anything. I think my tank is overcrowded. That night I took some iced water (kept it in the freezer until ice formed on top, then broke the ice so the water was accessible) and started dropping female guppies into it. 12. I caught 12 female guppy fry/juviniles and I killed them... and when I look in my tank it doesn't even look like I have made a dent.

I am going to do some more today of any little ones as well. I have three males I want to keep, but all of the little ones are too young to know what they will look like or what gender they will be. I am tempted to just do all of the babies, leave the three males, the five neons and the GBR plus clean-up crew. Then maybe one day soon I might grab a few more neons and bring that school up to a nicer size of 7 or 9 (more likely 9).

Anyways, I felt kind of bad doing what I did, but I wasn't left with much choice- no one will buy a baby guppy who's growth has been stunted due to overcrowding and lack food reaching them.

I snapped a few laptop pics again. I moved the crinum over to the right side as there was a gap in the vals there... and man what a PITA that was!!! Holy crap! Had to take the wood out, trim some vals, replant some vals who didn't want to stay planted, then th bulb got up rooted from putting the wood back in and grr! lol. It's ok though- it is down now. And the GBR's colour is starting to come back pretty well so I thought I would show one of him as well.

Last edited:

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
Thanks Silver Dollar :D. Unfortunately his stomach has recently been sinking in :S. I haven't seen him eat much either. That is why I keep killing off guppies because I can't get any food to the ram or neons while they are around.

What food do I feed for the ram? It doesn't seem to want to go to the surface for the flakes or blood worms...