Is this tail rot?

May 4, 2011
Ohio
I don't have a picture yet so I will describe what I see. I have a yellow guppy fry about 2-3 months old, he is still very small so I do not know if I can get a good picture but he has 2 pieces of his tail missing, not chunks or jagged tears but like a straight line through the tail. It looks almost like there was a razor blade taken to his tail and cleanly cut down the length towards his body, they are near the top and bottom of his tail almost symmetrical. Could this be from aggression from older fish? He was courting an adult female who was always chasing both males away from her, could these be stress tears?

I might put him in the nursery and medicate just to be safe but I want to know what may have caused this, I will try to get a picture.

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
My fry get like that sometimes because the older ones try to eat them. They get away, but normally some of them have a bit of their dorsal fin or tail missing. Don't worry though, in my experience the fins tend to grow back fully within a week or two.