Is my platy pregnant???

May 22, 2011
I am new to this whole fish thing. I first bought bettas because they're so beautiful and a lot easier to take care but then my son saw the mickey mouse platy fishes and wanted them so now we have 5 of them in a 10 gallon tank. I realized one or two looked really plumped and was wondering if they were pregnant....I could only get one good picture (well sort of) of one. Can someone tell me if it's pregnant?

Attachments

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Look at her stomach carefully. I capture mine in a net, pick them up, and hold them up to a light (CAREFUL!!). Mine don't get stressed out a lot, but be careful with yours. You can also lok at her when she''s still in the water. Look at her abdomen. It should be pink, for a Mickey Mouse anyway. If you see black dots, fry's eyes, then she should be nearing the end of her pregnancy. Get a tank divider (not a bredder net/box) and section only her off in about 1/4 of the tank. Provide lots of hiding spots (Java Moss or make a spawning mop/Guppy Grass) and feed her good. As soon as you see little mini-me's in the tank, remove her. Make sure that the divider has fine mesh, or something, over the slits so it will still have airflow, but the fry can't get out. Good luck!!

May 22, 2011
I have moved her in a separate tank....she seem to do well and is getting bigger...I do see black dots and there's like a white spot sticking out below her belly....what does that mean?

Tooj

Medium Fish
Apr 9, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
chances are shes pregnant. I noticed a few things with my platy when she was about to give birth. The first was her behavior. She started to ride the glass of my aquarium a little harder then normal. Swimming almost directly into it. The second, width wise, she was a fatty. Almost like he scales were gunna snap off if something didnt give. The third, a couple hours (like 6?) before she gave birth, i think i actually saw her birth cannal open up...? right behind her lower fin i could see a white piece of flesh sticking out...almost like she was dialated? I only have 1 platy at the moment, so im not too sure if it happens with all of them. Just something to keep an eye out for