Im soooo scared!

jts112278

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Hey Red-

So Prime only works for 24 hours? That is a great piece of info to know. So i am assuming that after that 24 hours the bond is broken and the ammonia/nitrites become harmful again? Wish they would put that on the bottle.

Dave C

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
members.shaw.ca
I don't think that's what Seachem meant.  I think they mean that Prime will only detoxify nitrite & ammonia that it encounters during the first 24 hour period.  After that it won't have any effect on ammonia & nitrite in the water.  That doesn't necessarily mean that after 24 hours it frees up the detoxified amm/nit.  Mind you if your tank was having a problem you should be dosing daily and if you're dosing your tank daily it wouldn't really matter.  It also wouldn't matter if you're only using Prime for your change water since after that period your filter would be able to convert the amm/nit itself.  

Dave

Oct 22, 2002
Edmonton
photos.yahoo.com
Im slowly winning Dave! Using lots and lots of prime! Not even a week since I got a refill and its gone (medium bottle, 750ml maybe?). Anyways, last thursday is when I got the refill and its funny because I bought another bottle of prime as 'backup' and Im so glad I did. I'll be using it tonight and going to get another refill tomorrow. Like I mentioned before, Im dosing about 3x the regular dosage and if I see the discus breathing quite hard, I usually use 2x the dosage again. Still using salt and temp at 90F with 80-90% water changes daily. At feeding time, some are a little timid but for the most part, they 'attack' the food. Now its patience to 'win' them over again after the 'frightening' experiences by an unexperience dolt.

Oct 22, 2002
Edmonton
photos.yahoo.com
*UPDATE*
I noticed my discus not a scared anymore on Saturday, took a nitrite reading and yahoo! 0 nitrites! Whenever I enter the room, the discus are begging for food. Just at water changing times do they huddle in the corner but do not seem as scared as before either. Whew! Still doing 90% water changes also!

R

Robert Gurley

Oscars feel vibrations very well also, they will always be at the front of the tank when you come to feed them. Not because they see you, but because they feel you

Oct 22, 2002
Edmonton
photos.yahoo.com
Another small update!
Discus are fine! Not skittish and all most jumping out of the tank when feeding. They do come forward when I enter the room. Only during water changing are they a little scared but they will overcome that.

Still doing 90-95% water changes and feeding a lot. Temp around 86 and still using salt. Some of the bigger ones are starting to show more and more color. It first starts at the tip of the fins and slowly is moving down towards the center of the fish. Some however seem like they have not grown.

Other than that, everyone is happy!  ;D

Dave C

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
members.shaw.ca
It's been 25 days since receiving these Gold Pigeon S/S.  They've been moved to a painted tank to remove any peppering so they're still a little ticked off at me from that experience.

I like these guys so much I ordered more and today I received 30 of them along with 10 Red Melons.  They're in a 65g tank but not too happy from the move.  I'll get a pic up once they've settled down a bit.

Dave

Beautiful, as always, Dave.

I just have a Q?, if I may. You have loads of discus...just what do you do with them? Are you starting a breeding operation? Are all these stunning, magnificent fish just for your own pleasure?

sorry to be so nosy, but I haven't been to your site in about 6 weeks and only ever look at the pics...not the text....so sorry if the answer is there ;)

Uh...do you ship within Canada?  ;D

Dave C

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
members.shaw.ca
I had about 100 Discus until I received the 40 new ones today.  I do sell them but what I've been doing is buying many more then I need, buying them small, growing them out for about 3 months and then picking the ones I want and selling the rest.  All of my fish come from reputable breeders in the U.S. so none of what I sell are culls.  Of course in the 3 months I grow them out some do not turn out that great so I usually offer them for little cash at my brother's LFS.  There is a market for inexpensive and less then show quality Discus.  I just don't want my name associated with them.   ::)

I do ship within Canada and received 8 Discus on this last order that are headed for Nova Scotia next week.  I'm also trying like hell to get some breeding going.  I've had a few successful spawns but the pairs seem to lose their drive after a good spawn.  Go figure.

Dave