ID cichlid please

kool_sk8a

Large Fish
Oct 20, 2003
London
Pike cichlid

I have seen this pike cichlid (see above link) at my lfs, can anyone help me identify this particular species. Also does anyone know anything about this species such as how big they grow and what size tank they would need?

kool_sk8a

Large Fish
Oct 20, 2003
London
thanks for that, didnt think of looking right under my nose.

Ive found a few other sites and i am learning quite a lot about this cichlid. The one which i have seen seems to be one of the bigger ones and i hope my 65g will be able to hold it for most of its life.

One thing which i cant find much about is tank decor. From what ive read, i know that it will need hiding places, will clay pots be ok for this? Also do they prefer a rocky habitat? because at the moment the tank has bogwood and plants.

kool_sk8a

Large Fish
Oct 20, 2003
London
ive ust found that the one which i have seen is a Crenicichla sp. 'Xingu I' (orange pike cichlid) They have full orange when small but lose their colouring except on their fins as the mature. So the one which i have seen is probably an adult at about 6".

kool_sk8a

Large Fish
Oct 20, 2003
London
thanks lotus, i didnt see your post at first. I think my tank would be good for a pike if i add a few more rocks and make some caves.

Will my 65g be big enough for a Crenicichla sp. 'Xingu I'?

Peoples defenitions of the maximum size for this fish ranges from 9" to 24". Although i think its someowhere around the 12" mark.

And would it be best to keep him alone?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I would keep him alone. Pikes tend to be very tough on conspecifics, and totally ignore any other fish they can't eat.
Pikes range in size from 2 inches (!) to 20 inches max size, and the taxonomy is a mess right now. There are about 70 species I tihnk now, but maybe like Apistos there should be a lot more. I see more and more of them all the time, and lots of new species, especially the very small and the very large.

Vinny Kutty is the man for Pike info in the US I believe