I think my snails murdered my tetra!

Tarah

Small Fish
May 13, 2005
I had a couple snails that must have hitchhiked into my tank. I thought they were ramshorn...perhaps just plain pond snails? How do you tell the difference? Anyhow, I was beginning to have an algae problem, so I let them be for awhile. Within a few weeks......I had snails everywhere. However, my tank was IMMACULATE! Not one spot of algae on the glass or plastic plants. I was thinking I needed to thin them out, when one morning I woke up to one of my orange von rio tetras inexplicably dead on the floor....covered in snails! Do you suppose they got so hungry that they tried to eat him? Or accidentally mistook him for some algae while he was sleeping? Ever heard of that?

I couldn't think of any other explanation. My water is fine, it's been months since I've lost any fish....they've all been perfectly healthy. The only thing I could think of was the snails killed him.

I did thin them out considerably after that.....every time I change the water or see any up near the top, I remove them. So I feel like I'm keeping up. They do keep the algae down so well in the tank, that I hate to kill them all off.

Just wondered if anyone ever had snails gang up on a sleeping fish before. And wondering if I should put some veggies or something to feed them when the tank is very clean.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
No, the snails wouldn't have attacked and killed your fish. The fish died for some reason, and the snails were eating its body.

Pond snails are shaped like a lemon, while ramshorns are shaped like a cinamon roll.

Snails multiply when there is a lot of food in the tank, so feeding less will help control the population.

Tarah

Small Fish
May 13, 2005
Hmmm....well, they are ramshorn then. I wonder why he died? None of them have looked unhealthy or weird. Oh well. Good to know on the food. I'd prefer they just eat whatever algae grows in there. It's looking pretty clean right now though!

Sep 16, 2004
Fort McMurray, AB
Visit site
mmmmm....cinnamon rolls. LOL I can just picture it now…your fish fleeing for its life while a gang of snails quickly moved in for the kill….uh…yeah. LOL The only way your fish could have died by snail is that maybe the snails brought in a disease or two with them?