I think my Red Tailed Botia Loach's are breeding!!

Joeyb1731

Large Fish
Jan 20, 2009
Oceanside NY
I purchased a red tailed botia loach as one of my first fish. I read that they like company, so I bought another 2 days later. I notice the bigger of the 2 (only about 1/8 of an inch bigger) stays in the cave. When the smaller tries to approach it chases it as far away as possible, then back to the cave, its very territorial of the cave, even though they are supposed to be good with their own species. No other fish in the tank bother it in the cave, except the other red tail, and he wont leave it alone, could there be eggs in that cave??

P.S. the small one also seems to bring food to the cave and leave it, the bigger one allows this but once its eaten it chases the other away

Do you think they are breeding? Or is the smaller one just getting bullied? either way i need help to figure out what to do

LadyLail

Large Fish
Dec 31, 2008
NC
www.myspace.com
IME, Loaches (I've never had Botias, but a few other types of loaches) do best alone, with other single loaches, or in schools like jo3olous said. When paired or in trios, they get a bit moody and will pick on eachother. Plenty of hiding places *may* subdue them. That or buying a few more if you have the room. That'd have to be a pretty big tank for a school of those guys thoguh.