I got my new female ! :)

Dec 14, 2009
England
hello all,

for those who saw my last thread about me wanting to get a 2nd female well i did !

sunday i was at my dads and his LFS is the only one i know that sells betta females. i asked my dad if he would drive me and he agreed so i was one step closer to getting her.

so when we arrived we went straight to the fish department and went to the betta female tank. it was empty ! i was sooooo annoyed as there was no where else that sold them. my dad was like oh well lets go. and then i saw it ! or should i say her she was in an unlabeled tank. and guess what ! she was the exact colouration i wanted ! white with red fins like the pic i posted in my other thread. i couldnt beleive it. i ran over to the man as fast as i could before anyone else saw her, he netted her up was about to tie the bag, when i saw another small dark blue female come out from behind the filter. i felt bad for leaving taking her sister away and i couldnt get her as i hadnt enough money. then my great dad said he would pay for her . YES ! the guy picked up the net and put her in the bag. he said they were sisters and had came into the shop late. anyway when i got home i placed them in their new home. they look so happy :) i put my original betta ruby in a floating betta compartment as she kept picking on them.

here are some questions i have...

- the new female ive names cherry and diamond dont seem to like the freeze dried blood worms.. they eat them then spit em straight out.whats going on ? what else can i feed them that they will like ??

- what should i do about ruby ? she is happy in the compartment but would like to have her released with the other two ..:)

advise wanted :)

thankyou :)

Attachments

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
she's a really great CT :)

a 4 gallon tank is too small for 3 bettas...

3 bettas in one tank is not advisable.
4 and more is the best number and you need a 10 gallon tank to house 4+ females bettas.

your best choice is to let one female live in the 3 gal and move the "sisters" to a larger tank.
luckily they're used to each-other so you probably wont see any issues from them :)

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
About the freeze-dried bloodworms. Are you reconstituting them? With the freeze-dried ones, you have to soak them in warm/tepid water so that they become soft again. Once they're soft, I found that dangling them in the water from a pair of tweezers will get the bettas eating them. Mine would do the suck-and-spit routine with them too before I fed them like that. Now they go absolutely NUTS over the bloodworms.

That is a pretty little girl. And Newman is right...three is a bad number to have in a tank (especially a small one). Four or more is better.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Oh, definitely! Yeah, sorry, meant that you were right all the way around about more females and a bigger tank. :p Sorry, my mind is wandering something fierce tonight and I'm easily distracted...where did I put that leash?