I got discus!!!!!!!!!!

I'm assuming he's moving those angels to the 55. He mentioned selling his convicts. Correct me if I'm wrong, silver d.
You are right tom. I am going to try and get the convicts out tomorrow(before my brothers 16 b-day party). Then i am going to clean in REALLY good and probably get new gravel. My plan is to move the discus into the 55G and then for my birthday in march ill get 2-3 more along with some cories. I am wanting to get some sand or something for the bottom and pants.

The discus are doing great and healthy. They remember when its feeding time and pig out on the brine shrimp. My plans are once i get the 55gal redesigned, ill get 2 more discus so i have 4 in the 55gal and then have a school of 6-7 pristella tetras. Now i have some questions.

1. They never separate from each other. Even when i feed them they are together and there eyes are a really dark red. Are they pairing up?

2. Sometimes they will flair there gills up at each other but i think its a good sign. Like an example is Angels. Some may see that if you have a strong pair, they wil flair there gills at each other. Are they doing this cause they want to pair up or should i be concerned?

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
A discus does not breed until they are full grown. You will not have any pairing up until shortly before then. Your Discus are just young. Most young fish hang out with eachother for security. Flaring their gills at eachother is a sign of aggression I maybe wrong but Ive never heard of it as a good thing. Fish do it to display to eachother yes but...I would just be patient for now their wont be any baby Discus. :p

Make sure that you dont add your current Discus into the 55G until you have the other 2, otherwise you may have some aggression between the old and the new. I made the mistake once and lost 2 Discus. :(

A discus does not breed until they are full grown. You will not have any pairing up until shortly before then. Your Discus are just young. Most young fish hang out with eachother for security. Flaring their gills at eachother is a sign of aggression I maybe wrong but Ive never heard of it as a good thing. Fish do it to display to eachother yes but...I would just be patient for now their wont be any baby Discus. :p

Make sure that you dont add your current Discus into the 55G until you have the other 2, otherwise you may have some aggression between the old and the new. I made the mistake once and lost 2 Discus. :(
K i cleaned the tank and now the stocking is:
2 discus
2 cories

I took out the tetras, killie, and kribs and put them in the 55gal with the pearlscale pair. I agree with you fishgeek, ill move the discus in there once i can get 2 more. BUT they wont go in until i move the fish out of the 55gal and clean it good and redesign it and all that. Will the discus be ok with the cories or should i take them out as well?

TLM4x4

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2005
southern oregon coast
Discus fish I have learned are very social, and I mean almost interactive with my husband and myself. They are very curious and get bored very fast. It has been said they are happier when there are other tank mates with them and I have seen that first hand. When you move them into your 55 gal. tank I would suggest getting a school of 5 or 6 cory cats...my discus follow them around the bottom of the tank nose to nose searching for food, as if they were the same size. I also have a school of cardnials with them, redline tetras, skirts, and some golden rams. It is a very peaceful tank. I would too suggest filling your tank with some big bushy plants..discus love to sleep amoung the roots of the plants, and in the plants, as is the natural habitat they come from. Yours are nice looking, mine go nuts for bloodworms you can get them frozen from the lfs, no reason they cant be on a diet of them now. Good luck!

Look guys im not going to return them. I have wanted these beautiful fish for so long that i am not going to take them back to my lfs. I can't get a 90gal but i do have a 75gal that i guess i can rearrange for the discus by taking the smaller fish out and putting them into smaller tanks so that the discus will have there own 75gal???

val

New Fish
Jan 27, 2008
Sorry this is so long.
Just a bit of info for your discus.
I have kept Discus on and off for over 20 years now.
A rule of thumb when keeping them is 10 gallons of water per fish.
As for beef heart it has no nutritional value they just like it.
I keep my water temp at 84-86 degrees (unless sick then when you find out what it is crank the tank to about 88))they like the temp and will not get ick.
Alot of people tend to fiddle with their water, they are fine with plain declorinzed tap water, ph is not to important unless it is over 8.0 if you bought them at a lfs they are used to the water in your city.
Plecos and the like are no-no's they tend to want to suck on their slime coats.
As for sexing there is no way of knowing until you see who lays the eggs.
I keep mine in a bare bottomed tank easy to keep clean.
I have 4 (2 pairs adults that have laid) in a 75 gallon tank with a fuval 405 filter with no carbon it tends to make them itchy.
Foods I feed are a varied diet with at least one meal being flake, if you get a chance try and find a frozen food called Jack Wattly discus food it is made by ocean nutrition. Frozen brine, mysis, beef heart ect are pretty much treats for my fish. DO NOT ever feed tubifax worms to these fish! not even freeze dried it is practically impossible to remove all of the bacteria from them.
Enjoy them don't worry so much and they will be fine.

Last edited: