I commited to discus

FWSWBW

Medium Fish
Nov 19, 2006
tennessee
Wow, they have got to be the nicest FW fish, they are hard to find here, LFS never has them. In the 80's every store had them but now they are special order. Very nice, when and if I up grade my FW I'm thinking of getting a few. Of coarse like everything I have, I will have to up date my library first.

Nov 24, 2006
Hey Fuzz..there will be plants...but

Iwas going for real plants at first...but the whole "CO2" system scares me...they say you have to constantly monitor it and that it could be dangerous...now i am back to plastic plants... does it matter?... and do i have to have CO2 system with the plants...and is the co2 as bad and dangerous as they say..

Jan 16, 2004
Syracuse, NY
Updated picture, not the greatest quality, took this with a kodak instead of my usual canon digi rebel, jsut thought Id toss it out there for you guys to see.

When its fully coloured, near half of the fishes body has the green/blue spangles, they are deffinately spreading as the fish matures.

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
I kept angels with my discus, and a lot of other stuff too including a dwarf pike, and never found any problems mixing them with other fish as long as I was sensible (no oscars!). I never found discus nervous either, I suspect a lot of that is a hangup from keeping them in bare bottom, bare tank setups where they are very nervous. The deal with big water changes somes from breeders - I once went to a discus farm in Malaysia where they were keeping them at insanely high stocking rates as this is where the young are most comfortable, and they were on an overflow system with continual water changes. I would say tho' that discus do seem to be senitive to water quality, and dissolved organics, so I did like to do big water changes on mine, and they responded well to it, even tho' I was overfiltered on that setup.
The diesease stuff is just bull, actively unproven I believe.