I commited to discus

Jan 16, 2004
Syracuse, NY
2-3 days ago, after preparing my last remaining fw tank, dumped some inhabitants, I made the plunge to discus. Temperature is round 84, hes eating real well, looking good, been doing 50% waterchanges very often. Im going to need a positive ID on him once I snap some shots, we had him labelled a Red Melon, but deffinately doesnt look like one. Just thought Id give you guys the heads-up, you've got another member on the discus side. Will have to see how he does.

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
He’s a cute little guy! Discus are fun but they can get on your nerves if you travel.

Doing at least a 50% WC every other day is a lot of work!

He looks like a red tiger to me. A red turk would be a bit more red, although he is just a fry, he might get more coloring as he gets older. I'm by far no discus strain expert ;)

Here is a pic of a red tiger

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
np, I found a list of different strains on another forum.

HERE IS THE LINK

It could be just me but I find a challenge in discus. Its constant maintenance and that’s what I like in a hobby. I think I would grow bored if I didn't have a tank to work on. I think that’s why I have been recently diagnosed with MTS. I tell my wife its cheaper than SW but just as much work.

They are also the best looking FW fish IMO. ;)

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
Discus strains are getting confusing. Every breeder tries to dub a new name. So you can easily have 5+ names for one fish.

That red tiger looks like a cross to my untrained eye. Possibly a Wild green or RSG (Red spotted green) as one of the parents. None the less, nice discus again Ryan, you need more! ;)

custom

New Fish
Aug 30, 2006
I agree.... everyone who breeds or imports like to play the name game. To me you either have a turq, pigeon, or spotted or wild anything else is derived from these species

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
personally i think this is a mosiac. and he may be a bit stunted, but as he grows his eyes may fit his body more. i have a sunted fish who i adore, he was to be thrown out.
but yes, mosiac, id say.

Nov 24, 2006
You got a angel with your discus!

See...there is alot of fuss about this and i don't know who is right..i am setting up a 220 gallon tank...and i want discus and Angel...But i here about parasites the angel carry..then i hear that you just have to make sure they are dewormed...there is a kit for that..i hear..what is the deal...

50% water changes for discus every other day....i thought it was just twice weekly....i know the water has to be very clean...but Wow!...in that case...maybe i will stick with angels...

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
IronLung said:
See...there is alot of fuss about this and i don't know who is right..i am setting up a 220 gallon tank...and i want discus and Angel...But i here about parasites the angel carry..then i hear that you just have to make sure they are dewormed...there is a kit for that..i hear..what is the deal...
Buy healthy fish to start and you should have no problem. Myth. Yes it CAN happen, but if you buy healthy fish, do your WCs, and QT your fish from the start then i see no problems with mixing discus and angels...just a myth by people who did not do these things correctly to start.

I do WCs once a week for discus personally and i keep them fine. The more WCs, the better off you will be. Plus a lot of people doing WCs on this daily schedule or whatever are also the ones trying to grow out fry as quickly as possible...as well as breed their pairs. In my opinion, this many WCs is not needed for an average hobbyist trying to keep a few discus.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
"Contrary to what you may have heard or read, angelfish can be kept with discus. The discus disease, carried by angelfish, has been all but weeded out, thanks to the large-scale aquaculturing of angelfish and discus. Most fish available are tank-bred and raised, and they are much more likely to adapt to your aquarium and thrive." The Angelfish

the reason people say not to mix them is also because angels eat a lot faster than discus and discus are timid fish, unlike angels which can be sometimes boisturous and aggressive.
i was actually planning on getting kois before i got my wilds. but o well..tanks to small.

and yes a spiny eel could be kept with discus, because it tends to stay in the substrate most of the time. as long as your tank is big enough for one and plants may help as well.