Husband says "no more fish".....

xavier

Large Fish
Jan 20, 2008
I agree with FishGeek, sounds like your little guys will get early retirement if you know what I mean after.
C4cache I think you have the set up I want. A pond with fish and a 200g tank.
If things work out this year I will have both by the end of the year. BUT after reading a bit about Koi ponds with its average $500 electic bill each month
I am looking into Gold Fish like you have.

Last edited:

C4cache

Small Fish
Jan 21, 2008
Utah
My dad has a HUGE pond in his backyard. It's more like a lake than a pond. It all started with one little goldfish pond off the deck, then another one by the shed.....then another one with a stream to connect them all and then the construction crew came out with a backhoe. About $70,000.00 and ten years later he has a lake filled with koi and goldfish. I wish you luck on your pond, but fair warning, it's just like an aquarium, you'll always keep going bigger! It's a sickness!! lol (Oh and as for his electric bill; about $900.00 a month.)

C4cache

Small Fish
Jan 21, 2008
Utah
Well, the pictus is still pretty small at the moment. He's a great looking fish, I would hate to see him go. Maybe I'll think about finding him a new home when he gets a bit bigger. Hopefully he doesn't make a meal out of any of his tank mates until then. Any suggestions on a good bottom feeder, friendly, that doesn't get too large to replace him when the time comes?

Oh, and I think it's safe to say that my husband has LOST this particular argument lol Victory is sweeeeeet!

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
I am fond of striped raphael cats...from the research i did before i bought mine they get to a max size of 8 to 10 inches and may eat smaller fish, but mine live peacfully with mollie fry and have had no losses, mine are about 3 to 4 inches right now and they have pretty small mouths. The bad thing is I dont see them much as they are very nocturnal..sometimes they dont move out of there cave for days..when they get hungry they go prowling but mine typically stay on the bottom.

Last edited:

xavier

Large Fish
Jan 20, 2008
C4cache $900 a month? Wow for that I could buy a 200 gallon reef tank on craigslist for that. Every 4 weeks LOL

:O)

C4cache

Small Fish
Jan 21, 2008
Utah
C4cache $900 a month? Wow for that I could buy a 200 gallon reef tank on craigslist for that. Every 4 weeks LOL

:O)
Reef tanks, a new car, new furniture, hell...a nice vacation! The possibilities are endless lol

I honestly don't know how he does it! His electric bill would almost cover our house payment each month. Completely nuts if you ask me. Beautiful, but nuts! I keep telling him that when/if he ever decides to sell his house that "lake" is going to make it difficult for him. I certainly wouldn't want a $900.00 electric bill on top of a house payment. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way.

I'll have to get some pics this spring, post them on here and let you all see what I'm talking about.

I'll look into some of the suggestions that were made on bottom feeders to replace the pictus I have. Dangit! I really like that little guy too. (sigh) That will teach me to impulse buy!

Last edited:

C4cache

Small Fish
Jan 21, 2008
Utah
Well, I was at the LPS last night, alone,.... with the credit card and without supervision. You all know what that means; I bought more fish lol Decided on a couple of cories and a rainbow shark. (My daughter loves the sharks, what can I say.)

I was looking at a loach, but I really don't know a lot about them, their habits, if they are ok with plants etc so I decided against him. Asking the person who worked at the LPS didn't do much good either, she didn't even seem to know what a "loach" was. (geesh!) So opinions please. With what we already have in the tank, would a loach work? And what particular kind of loach? I don't want any bloody battles with our exsisting fish or anything that requires salt.

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
For some bottom feeders and if you like the catfish how about a synodontis eupterus or synodontis petricola or synodontis multipunctatious. I think I've got the spelling correct. I have 2 petricola and a eupterus. They all hide a little but we do get to see them enough to make it worth it. They won't eat the other fish either. I'm not sure about the fry but I'm sure someone else will know if they do.