How many Discus?

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
5 discus should be fine
a small school of tetras of maybe 7, but that might be pushing it
not ALL plecos attach themselves. i have a clown pleco in my tank. bristle nose are more the choice for discus though.
you shouldnt keep 2 discus in a 20-30g tank. they would fight to much with no other fish to spread out the aggression.
lots of plants, real or fake, will help the discus be less shy. ive noticed that floaing plants help a lot, it gives them security and shade.

and you cant sex discus. well you could but even professional fish sexers hardly ever get more than 60% right. even breeders cant sex them always. but the males also are said to have the lump on thier head, and like any ciclid males have pointier fins and are supposedly more colorful, althouh i disregard that one.

make sure to keep up your water changes, they need clean clean water. but thier not so hard to keep as some people make them to be. and thier a joy to have around.

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
So if you had a spawning pair what would you keep them in. Pairs do not fight much at all. Pairs are rarely a problem, but juvies squabbling and pestering each other to death is i.m.e.
I agree , keeping plecos as a clean up is a waste of time, however plecos are super cool so that is the reason to keep one or two.
Cory. sterbai seem to do quite well, I'm not that famailiar with cories, however I would not think discus conditions are the natural norm for most of the other normally available fish. As far as I know you do not find cories where discus are normally found.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
a few small cories wouldnt bother them i dont think.
and yes for breeding pairs you can place them in a 20gmin but you shouldnt, IMO, put 2 together just because you dont have a bigger tank for them. it will cause fights and one may not be very healthy. thier schooling fish. its like taking a person who is constantly around people and putting them in a padded room with someone they hate...or a stuffed teddy bear that has creepy eyes that watch you 0.0

Sep 6, 2006
St Louis
Personally, I still don't know enough about discus to give you adequate info, but I do know that they like to school, and they get big. A 55 may not be big enough for a what your talking about: a school of discus, a school of small fish, and assorted bottom feeders.

I was totally kidding, btw.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
hmm a 55g should be fine for 5 full grown plus a small school..IF and only if you keep up water changes. ill have 4 juvis and 2 adults in my 55g soon. im looking for a bigger tank though.
and for bottom feeders, i personally dont see the need for them. i dont have one in my 10g or 20g and thier fine. i clean algae myself and do wcs once a week, 3 on the 20g right now

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Discus are not schooling fish, they are social. And really only do better in large groups when young. As adults 2 together that are a mated pair is no problem. 2 that are not mated and yes you will have problems with one always picking on the other.

A 20gal (notice this isn't a 20L) is fine for a breeding pair. Jack Whatley uses 20 gals in his breeding facility. And to quote him from last months issue of TFH "I have even seen a breeder in California use home made tanks that hold only 10 gals of water."

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Discus are not active swimmers a 20gal (high) is large enough. The footprint of a 29 only gives a couple more inches vs a 20.

Yeas as always bigger is better. But for "breeding" purposes a 20 is fine. Remember if you are spawning them you are doing water changes several times a week if not every day. Some Thailand breeders do not even use filtration because of how many and how much water they change.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
when you decide to ge tthe finally
watch them for a bit, make sure thier being eating, ask the guy to feed them. choose spunky ones that come up to see you
get juviniles, they are easier to take care of than adults and babys
keep 2 heaters instead of one big one. this way, if one goes bad it doesnt fry your fish because it can only go so high
have a variety of foods for them. a lot of people used color bits for normal feeding but you can use flakes too
when you get them keep the lights off a biot so they can explore an get comfortable, then only turn one light on for a little bit so they dont spook.
they will get to know you better if you sit inb front of the tank for a litle bit. and theyll come up and beg eventually :)

some of this may be pointless but meh