how long til my platie is due to deliver??

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Hard to tell. Could be tonight, could be another week . . . .
I often found that moving pregnant livebearers to a breeding box caused them a lot of stress. If you have several pregnant fish, and want to try to keep some fry, you might be better off to stuff your tank with lots of plants so the fry can hide from hungry adults. Do you have them all in one tank? Do you have another tank that you are planning to raise the fry in?

Nov 20, 2010
hi i have 3 tanks 1 which is a nursery tank which already has 8 fry in 6 platies 2 mollies thats all i managed to catch from 3 seperate births

i really need to know how to tell when there gonna drop
i have added some pics,

Attachments

tonymac

Small Fish
Nov 18, 2009
Most of literature says Livebearers in general (Guppies, Mollies, Swordtails, Platies, etc) take 3-4 weeks to drop fry from the point of impregnation. The higher the temperature the shorter the gestation period. If you dont witness the actual mating act thats OK because the females of the listed species all store sperm from previous encounters and will have several sucessive broods. Good Luck!

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Her belly will square off significantly before she drops and her gravid spot will become larger and more prominent. As Laura said, moving a female to a breeding box/net often causes serious stress and will cause the female to retain the fry. Depending on how pregnant she is (how many fry she has), this could be fatal.

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
IMO, take all your marbles and move them underneath your floating plants and hope they drop their fry off in the marbles. You could even tie some of the floating plants into the marbles to create full coverage from top to bottom for the fry to hide.

If your fish are being fed well you'll probably have less cannibalistic moments than if you feed them smaller portions. It will dirty your tank some, but you'll keep more fry alive.

Jan 31, 2009
Near LA
Platy fry usually hide well, so most will survive. If you want a lot of them to survive, wait until you see one and move them to a different tank. You will probably have to take out your decorations to catch them all.