home made live rock

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
DIY or dry rock can save you money nut 1. you have to get it right 2. you need a cerain amount of live rock to make sure you get enough variety of filter bacteria. The bottled cultures contain only on or two species, of any, and there a lot more involved than are commonly thought. However I use some of the premade structures from aquaroche to put real live rock on as they are premade large towers and caves from effectively moulded limestone.

Apr 11, 2006
according to my understanding, you just put the rock in your fish tank with your live rock and then the non-live rock just become live. Wouldn't that mess up your ph or your setting? Should you put it in a tank sperate from your main tank with some live rocks and when it becomes live, you then put it in your main tank?

Xeruf

Small Fish
Nov 19, 2006
what do you think the time period of turning dead rock to alive is. lets say with a 50 / 50 mix of live and dead.

I had 3 pieces of old live rock that was dead and white, I put it there hoping it would turn live. but with no luck. but I guess that is because of the lack of light there. so a couple days ago I tossed them in the main tank to mix with the other rock.

Xeruf

Small Fish
Nov 19, 2006
Mahamotorworks said:
Did you scrub the Dead stuff off? If not it will take a while.

MAHA
it was really dead when I got it, like white and all. its been sitting in my sump for 4 months now. so I don't think it will take that long, seeing it was in contact with the micro organisms for that long, it just needs light for photosynthesis to thrive

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
lol lava rock = preboiled

but just boiling stuff helps?

so if i got some igneous and boiled it, it would be ok? wouldnt it corrode and bad stuff comes out of it?

im not just going to use all igneous rocks maybe some travertine rock and concrete...