home made live rock

Sep 26, 2006
New Jersey
I've found many topic's and sites about making your own live rock. i was wondering if there is anything recommended from you guys or think it's a bad idea, myself i dont see what could be bad about it but just wanted to ask you guys before i got get the stuff.

Reef Central Online Community - The Ultimate DIY Rocks!
About.com: http://www.athiel.com/lib3/arago.htm

just two sites with info and pictures seems to be really cheap to make too.

Thank you!:)
Nick

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
i might be wrong but since it's in african cichlids tanks, my guess is that it's like aragonite and helps to maintain a high PH. Haven't notice any ph changes since i added big travertine rocks in my tank...but be sure it is a porous travertine, there are some other rocks used in cichlids tanks that you don't wanna add..anyways, check the pic in my sump and try to find a rock like this.
Even tough you can't mold this one and it's not really DIY, it's a good porous and strong rock that can fit in the middle or bottom. Much better than base rock and no bleach!

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
yeah this one is magic...in 2 months it's almost completely covered with purple and red coralline as you can see...the shape aren't fiji style, but hey for the price i don't care. I have plenty of pods in it, the holes are perfect for 'em

Sep 26, 2006
New Jersey
Hey i just bought some of that rock i knew it was it when i seen it in the box with a sign "Saltwater and african cichlids tank dry rock" so i was wondering if there is anything i should do before adding it they told me to wash off the dusty stuff and it should be fine to add is this true? i dont wanna mess up my settings...

Dadstank

Large Fish
Nov 4, 2006
Minnesota
I would recommend Geothermal Aquaculture Research Foundation Home Page they have a section in there for making your own LR using portland cement and aragonite.
I plan on making some when I get the time and this way I can do some really cool custom stuff that you just can't find at a LFS. Plus side is that you will have aragonite mixed in which can help to maintain calcium somewhat but the PH won't be effected...

If you use the travertine rock you could always get out the ole hammer n chisel to create something more to your liking.