RoxnSox

Large Fish
Jan 13, 2008
ft. campbell, KY
UGH did a test this morning....

Amonia is at 0
Nitrite is at .5ppm

*pulls hair out screaming*

did a 35% water change just now so hopefully that is the last time i have to do a water change for now

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
*snugs* It'll be okay Rox!

Just be patient.

When my perams are off you know what I just do daily changes for a few days with out checking what they are. Less stress, especially when I know I'm going to be doing them any how.

RoxnSox

Large Fish
Jan 13, 2008
ft. campbell, KY
thanks tab...Jay has turned me into some freak who stresses over the perams! lol Since he is leaving in a week he has stopped answering my questions so that im forced to come here and ask for help (not that it is a bad thing)

Curse you jay!

iapetus

Large Fish
Jan 15, 2008
34:09:39N, 118:08:19W
*pulls hair out some more* so after a 35% water change i retested my nitrite

.25ppm

one more water change *le sigh*

wth happened to my tank????
Wait, wait, wait! Think about this: that's actually pretty good! You changed out 35% of your water and you removed half your nitrite! Personally, I think that's a good result for that water change; it's better than what I would expect.

youre mean *cries herself to sleep*
:(

RoxnSox

Large Fish
Jan 13, 2008
ft. campbell, KY
iapetus the very first time i tested the water the nitrite was 8 ppm!!! i did a 75% water change and that is when it said .5 ppm so i did the 35% and it read .25ppm so im hoping this was the last water change. Somehow i got lucky this last water change and added just the right amount of aquarium salt cause the salinity is between 1.008-1.004

iapetus

Large Fish
Jan 15, 2008
34:09:39N, 118:08:19W
iapetus the very first time i tested the water the nitrite was 8 ppm!!!
I know; I read the thread. ;)

i did a 75% water change and that is when it said .5 ppm
Again: a great result! *thumbsup2

so i did the 35% and it read .25ppm so im hoping this was the last water change.
Are you going to stop there? One more might not hurt. But, you've got your salinity where you want it; so, I might think twice. As I'm sure you realize, you can't get rid of all the nitrite by water changes alone (unless you remove all of the water). Each subsequent water change is going to remove fractionally less and less of the nitrite because you're just removing more of the clean water you just added back to the tank. So, I say get it to a low enough level where you're comfortable and allow the nitrite-metabolizing bacteria to take over from there.

RoxnSox

Large Fish
Jan 13, 2008
ft. campbell, KY
Why is the nitrite so high? Was the tank cycled? Is there a different way to cycle brack-water?
i have no idea why the nitrite was so high. We i got the GSP's i put biospira in and everything was ok. Then when i took the GSP back i put mollies in there. Kept the mollies in there for 2 weeks did normal water changes and what not then got the figure 8's. Everything is ok now after many water changes. Now im just trying to decide if i wanna melafix or just wait a few days to see if Winky's eye will clear up on its own.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
The tank was cycled. I think the 3 mollys we had holding the tank down kept a small bioload, so some of her bacteria died off. Then the puffers moved in, and brought with them a very large bioload. spinning her into a mini cycle
Exactly. I'm sure that's what it was. I wouldn't worry about Melafix, there is nothing better for fish than nice, clean, fresh water via water changes. I'd keep an eye on the nitrites and keep doing small water changes. Your bioload will catch up with those messy puffers and their log poops ;) And the cloudy eye will go away in time, as well.
Just keep your salinity stable and make sure to mix, mix mix that salt before you add it back to the tank via replacement water. In a week, I bet everything will settle down and the puffers will be fine :)