Help!!!!!unexpected angelfish spawn

Dec 14, 2010
Sunny California
Help! I recently put a new plant in my commhnity aquarium and realize today, one full week kater, that i have angelfish babies! I had deeamt of breeding my two gorgeous angels but had read it was very complicated. Now i have no idea what to do! They are on a plant and the parens are gaurding them well. They are in a 27 gg community tank. Help! What do i do!?!?!

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Congrats! A while back I had unexpected angel spawning too, but I discovered it while the fry were still in the wriggler stage and attached to the leaf. Great that your angels are guarding the fry so far - good parents! You could leave the fry and parents in the community tank for now - but be warned that the parents may make life miserable for everyone else, and they may not remain such dedicated parents, so your fry might get munched - actually, given your other tankmates, I'd say your fry will definitely get munched at some point if you leave them there .... The fry also do best in a scrupulously clean tank and being fed specialized food like freshly hatched bbs (baby brine shrimp) so I'd plan on getting a grow out tank set up soon to transfer the fry into, and get your bbs hatchery going. If the fry disappear meanwhile, don't worry - if the angels have bred once, chances are high they will do so again. This time you can have your fry tank ready, and you can transfer the eggs while they are still attached to the spawning surface - it's easier to do this than try to catch them free-swimming.
I have a thread buried somewhere in the breeding section on raising my angel fry last year ......
Cheers,
Laura

Dec 14, 2010
Sunny California
I foudn you thread and I'm working my way through it. Mine are wiggling on a leaf now! Also, the only other current tankmates besides the angels at this point are one dwarf gourami and a single guppy. Do you recommend leaving the fry in with the parents or separating them? I was thinking that if I just removed the gourami they would have a fighting chance. Also, where can I find baby brine shrimp? My LFS only had frozen and freeze-dried. Right now the fry are still on a leaf but they seem much bigger than last night already and some are wiggling all over the place.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Oh, if your fry are still at the wriggler stage, it's easy to move them if you choose. Just keep them submerged the entire time. And yes, you could leave them in the tank - I didn't realize there were only a couple other fish in there. If you can dedicate the whole tank to the fry, then cool, it's easy to remove the parents (because eventually you may have to separate them - lots of angels will do an evil switch from protective parent to cannibal). However, if your tank is decorated, has substrate, etc, it will be harder to keep clean. But hey, your angels will probably breed again, so go ahead and see what happens, and if you really want to raise a full brood of fry, them move the wrigglers now, or wait for the next spawn and have your fry tank ready. What you want to buy is baby brine shrimp eggs - you need to hatch them yourself. You'll need a pump and airstone, source of heat, and a couple of jars. Then you rotate the hatching so you always have a fresh one available for the fry. I tried feeding frozen bbs, but my fry would only eat live.