Goldfish question

Jun 28, 2003
UK
Visit site
My brother has asked me to find out what's going on with his girlfriends goldfish.
'Lucky' the goldfish has been living a students life for the past two years in a large mixing bowl with untreated water, but last weekend when my brother and his girlfriend moved into their new apartment i gave them an all-in-one 8 gallon tank for 'Lucky'.
However i had a phone call earlier from my brother saying that the fish was 'floating' at a 45 degree angle at the surface. I advised him this would be a swim bladder disorder and for now just to keep an eye on the fish and try to give it a few peas!
But, next my brother phoned me back saying that when they switched all the tank off (filter, heater[set at low temp] and light) that the fish sank to the bottom and started to swim around a bit.

Does any one know why this is? Could it be due to stress from the 3 hour moving process (in a tupperware container!), reaction to new water conditions (eg Leeds water versus Birmingham water), dislike of the slightly higher temps/water current/light???

Any ideas appreciated as my bros girlfriend is very attached to 'Lucky'.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I would guess the tank is cycling. An ammonia spike is probably causing stress on Lucky. A change in water conditions from one city to another would have happened within minutes or hours of putting him in the new water, but rising ammonia will start to show after a few days.

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
i agree with lotus. goldfish are rediculously resiliant and can withstand pretty harsh conditions. once the tank cycles and the fish gets used to things, all will be well :) i'm happy to hear he's in a much more suitable habitat now!!!

Jun 28, 2003
UK
Visit site
thanks, i'll let my brother know the probable cause and fingers crossed Lucky will be able to weather the cycle.
Lucky has had an interesting life - he's a 'carny' fish won at a small carnival. Apparently he spent his first night in a pint glass, took several hours vacation on the sink wash board, has since spent his life in a mixing bowl and had an affiliation for rearranging gravel. I figured that as my brother and his girlfriend were moving into a luxury brand new apartment (actually owned by my parents!) that the least i could do was donate one of my spare tanks to Lucky, so he now has a 'des-res' of his own!

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
I had a Goldie as a kid.Lived on top of the fridge in a bowl.One morning we came downstairs to discover Goldie had done a bunk.Had jumped out and escaped down the back of the fridge(must have been there for at least 4-5 hours) and when we found him he looked like a fluff ball.A quick wash under the tap and back into the bowl and he was fine after an hour or so.Lived to a ripe old age.
I hope Lucky lives upto his name.

brit_s86

Large Fish
Mar 28, 2005
if its a new tanl,buy chemical called stabilizer.we set up a 10gallon,put stabilizer in it,and put little pirhanas in in a few minutes later.i also used it with my new 50 gallon