Goldfish pond

Dec 20, 2007
North Lousiana
I'm thinking about setting up a goldfish pond before we add a patio to our backporch. I live in N Louisiana so we have hot summers and mild winters. What kind of setup would you suggest and what type of equipment do I need?
I don't want anything real big. No Koi. Maybe just 2-3 comets.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
You'd probably need something about 100 gallons for three goldfish. Deeper is better for ponds (18" minimum), as deeper ponds keep more stable temperatures. If the summers get really hot, try to pick somewhere that's shaded from the afternoon sun. According to the USDA map, your winters can get down to 10 degrees F, so you may need to bring the fish in for the winter.

If you don't have big freezes in the winter, you could try livebearers instead of goldfish.

Dec 20, 2007
North Lousiana
Really? Livebearers in an outdoor pond? They don't need a heater?

In December we're likely to be wearing shorts at Christmas time. Now, February gets kinda cold. Maybe in the 20's just at night. Possibly the teens. But it's very rare to have a hard freeze. Couldn't I just get a pump to keep the water moving?

Do you need a filter for a pond or just something to circulate the water?

I've googled goldfish ponds and really couldn't find much info. Sorry for all the questions.

Last edited:

idsgt

Small Fish
Aug 4, 2006
Roark, If you really only want a couple of goldfish you can probably just get a pond kit. I have a 90 and it is just a little small, so get the biggest you have room for. They sell all differant types of filtration for them. What has worked for me is a box that holds the pump with layers of media. It sucks through.

As far a winter goes, there is no need to bring your fish inside. I live in upstate NY, Our low this winter was -13 and stayed at 0 for a couple weeks. When pond temp stays below 50 you quit feeding. I removed the filter and put two airator stones in. As long as it doesn't freeze solid the fish will sink to the bottom and hibernate. After the thaw I put my filter back in place. When the water temp hit 50 started the water changes and feeding. Two goldfish and a wild frog made it through just fine.

idsgt

Small Fish
Aug 4, 2006
Roark, If you really only want a couple of goldfish you can probably just get a pond kit. I have a 90 and it is just a little small, so get the biggest you have room for. They sell all differant types of filtration for them. What has worked for me is a box that holds the pump with layers of media. It sucks through.

As far a winter goes, there is no need to bring your fish inside. I live in upstate NY, Our low this winter was -13 and stayed at 0 for a couple weeks. When pond temp stays below 50 you quit feeding. I removed the filter and put two airator stones in. As long as it doesn't freeze solid the fish will sink to the bottom and hibernate. After the thaw I put my filter back in place. When the water temp hit 50 started the water changes and feeding. Two goldfish and a wild frog made it through just fine.