Ghost Shrimp

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Since there is some stupid law here in Maine against selling ghost shrimp (*eyeroll*) I ordered 6 of them online. My plan is to use them for feeding my puffers. Do they breed easilly? And I'm wondering if my 5 gallon tank would be the best place to house them. Do they create a lot of bioload? And do you think they would freak my betta out? I'm afraid if I put them into my 55 gallon community tank they would be gobbled up in short order...
I'd totally love it if the little guys bred and reproduced, cos I can't spend 15 bucks a week on online ordering of shrimp (well, that's the shrimp plus shipping from Florida to Maine - at this particluar place I found on Ebay)
Dayum I wish I could purchase them locally!

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
It's a shame you can't get them elsewhere (across the state border maybe) as I can buy them for 12 cents a piece, 26 cents at WalMart. You might want to shop around a bit...

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Delta is right, your best bet is to cross a border if youre not waaay out in the woods. I don't know if they're legal in NH or not, but White Clouds are and they're not in MA (so I grabbed 2 doz when I was in NH! :) )

If all else fails, I know PetSmart sells ghost shrimp. Maybe you could call your closest PetSmart in the Portsmouth area and see if they have them? They're a lot easier to find than lfs. :::shrug:::

Last edited:

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
I got the little buggers today. (First time online order of any type of live fishy thangs...I feel so...so..."wordly" now ;) )
I ordered 6, got about 12 with a couple dead ones.
We'll see how they do...
Oh and yah, I could travel to NH (bout 3 hrs south from here) but really, the gas alone would cost more than the 14 dollar shipping charge. (and boy did my boss look at me funny when he gave me the mail and I squealed with delight that my shrimp were here...then I told him they cost 15 bucks heh heh)

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
discus4everGrl said:
won't puffers eat brine or mysis shrimp or something? 15 dollars for 6 ghost shrimp is highway robbery. I got three dozen here for like 5 bucks. Doh!
Yah, I agree! When I hear everyone say how cheap they can get them at their LFS, and I paid that much for them, it does seem like highway robbery. But can't get 'em up he-yah in Maine "legally"....just like nuisance snails...
I plopped a live one in the puffer tank, woo hoo, didn't they dig THAT! They went right after it.
I placed the rest in my 5 gallon tank with my betta. He's flaring like heck at them but so far no chowing on them, yet. I counted 12-13 live ones, so I'll see how many survive the night.
cute little things! I think since they are so precious and expensive I might let them live. My plan was to gut load them and let the puffers have their way with them. But, you're right, discus girl, I have freeze dried krill & frozen krill for the puffers, so they get all the crustaceans they need.
I feel silly for being so happy about them when everyone here can get them so dirt cheap, but i feel like I just bought 12 new pets!!! :)