frog tank filtration

Nov 5, 2009
CT
we have a 10 gallon tank with 2 african clawed frogs. our current filter on the tank is an aqueon quietflow 10. it doesnt seem to be doing a good enough job so we're looking for an upgrade. what would you guys recommend for a new one?

beckyd

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2009
What do you mean specifically by not a good enough job? Do you mean the frogs are looking ill? cloudy water? or nitrate/nitrites too high? ACFs are not much of a bioload and I would think that filter would easily do the job. Is the tank cycled? Are you feeding appropriately so that there isn't extra food? I commend you for thinking of upgrading. However, a larger filter may cause too much current for the frogs. Their kinda loungers and you want them to be able to chill out. They aren't from raging rivers or anything and a 10g doesn't give any room to hide from a strong filter current. Maybe you just need to stabilize some other factors instead? I added plants to my 10g betta tank that has an ADF. All I did was choose lower light plants and put in some compact fluorescents that screw into a regular 10g hood. Added a few fert tabs to the substrate and a few drops of ferts every week or so. The tank looks great and everyone is happy and healthy. The frog really likes the plants and I can't say enough about how much healthier of an ecosystem you create for your them.

BTW, your 5g is super over-loaded:( Too bad you have ACFs instead of ADFs. You could get a cheap 20g off CL and put them all together and they would all be better off space-wise.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
as long as he keeps up with the water changes and has a big enough filter the 5 gallon will be fine. I had a 10 gallon with 2 dojo loaches, a long finned bushy nose pleco, 3 guppies, and 4 neons. they were healthy till the bottom of the tank cracked. all I got left is one of the dojo loaches.

Nov 5, 2009
CT
What do you mean specifically by not a good enough job? Do you mean the frogs are looking ill? cloudy water? or nitrate/nitrites too high? ACFs are not much of a bioload and I would think that filter would easily do the job. Is the tank cycled? Are you feeding appropriately so that there isn't extra food? I commend you for thinking of upgrading. However, a larger filter may cause too much current for the frogs. Their kinda loungers and you want them to be able to chill out. They aren't from raging rivers or anything and a 10g doesn't give any room to hide from a strong filter current. Maybe you just need to stabilize some other factors instead? I added plants to my 10g betta tank that has an ADF. All I did was choose lower light plants and put in some compact fluorescents that screw into a regular 10g hood. Added a few fert tabs to the substrate and a few drops of ferts every week or so. The tank looks great and everyone is happy and healthy. The frog really likes the plants and I can't say enough about how much healthier of an ecosystem you create for your them.

BTW, your 5g is super over-loaded:( Too bad you have ACFs instead of ADFs. You could get a cheap 20g off CL and put them all together and they would all be better off space-wise.
the biggest issue is that there is a LOT of poop floating around the tank. whenever they make a sudden movement it stirs it up pretty bad. could that be due to not enough water changes? another big issue is brown algae build up. they'd eat oto's right?
as long as he keeps up with the water changes and has a big enough filter the 5 gallon will be fine. I had a 10 gallon with 2 dojo loaches, a long finned bushy nose pleco, 3 guppies, and 4 neons. they were healthy till the bottom of the tank cracked. all I got left is one of the dojo loaches.
i'v got the same aqueon quietflow 10 on my 5 gallon. that oughta do the job right?

beckyd

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2009
Hmm. So it just looks yucky. How's your lighting? If its at all decent, you could add some real plants to take advantage of all that waste maybe. My other suggestion is to add some larger gravel so the poop sinks down and sits there until you can vaccum it out. I think your filter is technically fine. Another idea, how far from the bottom is the filter intake? See if you can add an extension to it and make it sit on the floor. Might grab more doody that way. The brown algae is said on here to be from overfeeding. I have also read that this is just the kind you get if you have hard water. Try to feed them a bit less if they aren't getting it all. A few real plants would knock that back also. I'm pretty sure an otto would be on the menu.