Floating Frog?

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
One of my two ADFs is floating. He seems to be having trouble staying down and is hovering near the surface of the water.

The other one seems to be fine. The water perameters are fine: Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate less then 5ppm.

I did a big water change and he went down for a while and then wound up floating up again just down.

Do frogs ever have swim bladder or bloating issues like fish? Would it be okay to give him a pea or a bit of an algae wafer? Would he even eat it?

His buddy seems perfectly fine and happy and is behaving normally.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Oh he's no where near that bloated. Just floating on the top legs all splayed. I thought he was dead but when a nudged him he swam away and came right back up again after a moment. It's just odd I've never seen him do this before.

I'll assume since the water's fine and he took a worm or two when I dangled them infront of him that he's okay for now then.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
I'm not sure floating frog is doing so good. He was floating still this morning and minimally responsive. When I was trying to scoop him up he flipped over on his back and righted himself but that's about it. I moved him into a mini QT bowl with some water from his tank just in case something happens.

If he does pass I wouldn't want the ammonia poisoning the tank and killing the other one too before I can get home from work. :(

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
The other one is doing well and is exploring the tank and staying down and eatting well. I'm not sure /what/ is up with this one. :( He doesn't look bloated or sick he's just floating and can't seem to stay down. It's odd.

Helena21

Superstar Fish
Oct 7, 2005
Essex, England
Hmm. Thats strange. When i had frogs they used to float sometimes, but if i went near the tank too quick or poked him gently he would dart back down to the bottom. Maybe you got a sick one :(

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
I'm worried I might have :( He tried to go down for a while but couldn't seem to stay down. I'm worried there's something wrong with his stomach but I've only been feeding frozen blood worms, no dried food.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
My instinct was correct. Poor little froggy died.

Strangely his buddy seems to be happier and more active then ever in his tank. I thought ADFs were suposed to be peaceful but is it possibly they were fighting or something? I think rather then another froggy maybe we'll consider a shrimp or a guppy for Mario's tank.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
It's a little boggling but at least the other one's alright and doesn't seem to be showing any of the same symptoms.

It's our first death in a year of fish keeping!

MikeS

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2006
Nor Cal
I had an ADF once, and the shedding thing scared me too. At first I saw the skin hanging plants in couldn't figure out where it came from. Kinda fun to watch them shed though.