FishGeek's Pond Plans

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Im beyond excited!! Ive wanted a pond since I was about 9 or 10 years old *SUPERSMIL So here are the plans so far, keep in minds things are subject to change as this is still in the begining stages. :p

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
sounds pretty cool and very interesting, but you may want to check with your local township authorities and municipalities and anyone else you an think of- have a pond *right* beside a public sidewalk could pose a rather large danger for small children, so before you go digging or anything of the wort, I would contact people and make sure it is a legal idea.

Also, you might want to have people locate phone and hydro and gas lines under your house and make sure you can dig there! lol

I know this is pretty far ahead of your plans, but I just wanted to make sure that they were said :p.

charls

Large Fish
Feb 22, 2006
San Antonio, TX
OMG fishgeek i've always wanted to do that too! Now all you need is a zen garden:pBut srsly i love it. Are you going to make it a tourist attraction? I'd pay 20 to see it!

One more thing...Do you have any idea how long it will take to make?

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Thanks :D The house is already off the ground :p so we are safe with that. There has been another idea that is being tossed around that is of just making one 3,000G pond instead. I will make a diagram tomorrow....feeling a bit off tonight. But I took some fish into the LFS today and got $78.50 in store credit!!! I used it to buy (well some of it) to buy our first five koi :D They are just Domestic Koi and I bought food for them and a new bag of gravel and have some money still left over! Check out my sig to know what I did. By the time these guys are big enough to go into the pond it should be ready for them. Right now they are about 2-3 inches in size. I will take pics tomorrow.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
awww

i always wanted a pond. i was talkin to my mom yesterday about it and she said she would have loved to do a two tier pond by the back deck but they didnt think about it when they planted things

that and their a lot of upkeep and my parents ar ekept busy as is

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
They are going to look cool in a pond. I think the variety of color is great. Can't wait till you get the pond finished and ready for its new fishy friends. You take such good pics, that i know the ones of the finished pond will be awesome. I wish you success so the rest of us can live vicariously through your pics. hehehe

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Awwww... so cute when they're little :D

I guess the pond design decision will be made based on a bunch of factors. I think construction will be easier if you just have the single body of water.

Don't forget fencing when the little one starts to crawl!

papyrus

Medium Fish
Mar 12, 2007
Congrats FG

How wonderful for you FG!I love Koi.You may be able to expand your water plant list if you think in terms of treating some as annuals.Papyrus can be grown in large pots(many nurseries that sell water plants offer them this way)that can be placed anywhere you choose.Large leafed beauties such as elephants ear would make a nice focal point.In vestigate your plant options and you will find many others that you may like.Plant cover over the surface helps keep algae bloom at a minimum,and keeps the water cooler.Lucky,lucky you ,enjoy!-D