Fishdad's Reef Setup

Feb 27, 2009
I agree with Newman on the timeframe to get things stable for a marine setup like yours. It is a slower maturing process than freshwater. Both setups can be started/seeded rather easily, but a marine tank takes longer to level out, and different types of algae are inevitable in the course of time until things are mature. The 'algae-scrubbers' you see being built kinda solve this for you, but only by growing the algae in a small controlled area instead of your display tank.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Wow a year huh? I thought maybe a few months, but with the money and time already invested it should be here longer than a year. Right now my CUC consist of many different types of snails, two dwarf hermits and one cleaner shrimp. The snails are going nuts on the algae. I think the GFO helped a bit. Seems like the algae growth has slowed.

I'm not sure I'm familiar with the 'algae scrubbers' you guys are talking about. I'll look into them.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Santa Monica (I think that is her name) has put a lot of info on here about that scrubber thing and you could probably PM Mopar (Can't think of his name) He use to be on all the time, but he went into business for himself and is very busy - he had built one.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
don't mix species...
although in a huge tank like this it might work out. they usually have territoriality issues otherwise.

I have seen mixed species in public aquariums so maybe it works.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Yeah... you are going to either need to pick a clown species, or the maroon will eliminate the option to pick for you...
However either one you keep, you can add a mate (pick a smaller clown than the current). If you keep the ocellaris, you could add a mate of a different "designer" pattern/color if you wanted. Even in 300g+ aquariums, a female clown will not allow any others besides her mate. FWIW, maroons are the most aggressive clowns, much more so than percula/ocellaris.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Well I have had him for about a week now and they are swimming together like old friends. No visual signs of aggression at all. If I had to pick one I would go with the maroon as his colors are fantastic looking. But so far so good no issues. If something happens my lfs will probably let me trade.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
My six line wrasse died. Not sure what happened. All tested levels are normal. I added some cheato and gfo recently. Other fish are fine. Only other red flag is a tree coral that has been closed up for a few days, but my star polyps which I'm told are good water quality barometers are doing fine. Strange.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
maybe the tank was too new for the wrasse, i am not sure what happened either. if all levels are normal then he must have been weak from the start. did he eat with the others?

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
My aqua lifter pump failed yesterday after a water change. My tank came within a quarter inch of overflowing. Luckily my lfs is open on sundays and I replaced it for 30$. Reaffirms my insistence on an overflow float switch. Gonna have to do some research on how to rig one up.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
yikes, glad you caught it in time. I ran my aqualifters for years and never had any fail. must be bad luck :(
Yeah, I've had a run of that lately with my reef. It was strange. The pump seemed to be working fine before the wc, then as soon as I turned everything back on it has seriously reduced pressure. For $30 bucks I'd rather just replace than try to repair. Especially a piece of equipment so vital.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
I am also having trouble with an elegance coral. Has never done well for me. I think its dying, never opens and the tissue seems to be receding. The only param that is off are my phosphates. They are at .08. Struggling to get them lower than that. You think .08 phosphates would effect the EC like this? All other corals are doing awesome.