Fish Ulcer i think

Dec 23, 2010
Okay so my grandmother switched our tanks giving him a bigger one and me his old one and then our fish started to get fungus. (we disinfected the tanks before use). We put the fish in and then a day after the fish started to get a white fungus on them. Well we got Lifeguard for the fish tanks and gave it 2 tablets for 4 days the fungus seems to have gone. But now my fish has a whitish tan sore or ulcer of skin with blood in it...... (see link) What is this. Is it the fungus? Or something else Other details are listed bellow

Fish Size 7 inches
Filter Feeder Fish
Blackish color with dots
One other tiny fish about 1/14ths of its size in tank
Tank is 10 gallons say about 20inchs 10 and height 17
Passive fish
1rst problem with the fish in 6 months.

Feb 27, 2009
I could not see any link to view.

Regardless, it sounds like the new tank is not cycled if you "disinfected" it.

Your tank is a 15 gallon based on the length, width, and height you gave.

I have no idea what a 'filter feeder' fish is, but a 7" long fish should not be in a 15 gallon tank. It needs a much larger tank.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Well, that's a common pleco, which definitely doesn't belong in a small tank. You should think about rehoming him. Ulcers are often the sign of overall stress due to poor water conditions or use of chemicals, or it could be the fungus still remaining. What is your water change schedule like? What do you use to treat your tap water? Do you have tests for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?