Fish Tank Drain and Tank Design

Aug 4, 2009
I currently have a 65gal freshwater glass tank 36x18x24. I'm looking to replace it with a similar size acrylic tank so I can put a drain in it. The biggest pain of the glass tank was siphoning water out and filling the tank. I plan to plumb the drain to the outside and run a water line over to the tank.

I would like to put the drain on the bottom of the tank and just plumb it with a ball valve. My question is what type of drain and what size of drain should I use to make sure it seals on the tank because it will get the full tank pressure?

Any thoughts?

Aug 10, 2009
is this just to drain the tank, or to perform water changes? i would just drain the glass tank you have and drill that, if your a good DIY then its not to hard with a little research, and you could maybe put a ball valve like you said but then on the bulkhead on the inside tank side put a screw adapter, so you could screw/unscrew for draining a pipe towards the tops of the tank so it could be a sump overflow, so not only do you have a drain but a overflow for a sump. and on the outside part of the hole put the valve and a screw adapter after that so you could either have it piped to the sump or unscrew and drain the tank. thats half the battle of having a sump. i could illistrate if that doesnt make any sense.