First Soil-Substrate Tank

Feb 27, 2009
Below is day 1, day 12, and day 50 of my first soil-based aquarium. The tank was set up on November 1st. And yes, since this is the tank my otos spawned in, I'm deliberately growing algae on the back wall for them!

The fish are: 1 Badis badis (male), 18 Celestichthys margaritatus (7 males, 11 females), and 4 Otocinclus affinis (3 males, 1 female).

If you are interested, the steps I used for this set-up can be found here:

http://s638.photobucket.com/albums/uu108/OrangeCones/1st El Natural Aquarium/

Last edited:

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
Tank looks very nice! I had planned on using an organic soil mix at one time but opted for pool filter sand instead. I might have to give it a try one of these days if I decide to rescape my 14g. And I agree about the algae. I leave plenty in mine for the otos to eat. A tank without a little algae is just...unnatural.

I wish I could find some Celestial Pearl Danios. That badis badis is nice, too.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
I really like the result of the soil substrate :)
What are the val/tall looking plants there in the middle?
I like how you left the algae for the otos. i keep 7 and i always do that too (green algae on back/side walls)

Feb 27, 2009
Tank looks very nice! I had planned on using an organic soil mix at one time but opted for pool filter sand instead. I might have to give it a try one of these days if I decide to rescape my 14g. And I agree about the algae. I leave plenty in mine for the otos to eat. A tank without a little algae is just...unnatural.

I wish I could find some Celestial Pearl Danios. That badis badis is nice, too.
Thanks!

I got my original school of CPDs from a guy in Texas! I sell them sometimes. Too cold in the midwest right now to ship. Got 8 Badis badis juvies ready to ship when it warms up a bit.

Feb 27, 2009
I really like the result of the soil substrate :)
What are the val/tall looking plants there in the middle?
I like how you left the algae for the otos. i keep 7 and i always do that too (green algae on back/side walls)
The tall one in the center (kinda forming a V) is a Zephyranthes candida (dwarf onion). The ones that are tall with the crinkled edges are Cryptocoryne spiralis. I like both a lot, and they put off plantlets like crazy.

Nov 19, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
so orangecones are these the plants i would be getting when im able to get from you? i like all those plants ecspecially the long grass like pieces you said were Zephyranthes candida (dwarf onion) (does it really grow onions?) and Cryptocoryne spiralis. if these are the plants that i would get i could make a great scaping with those plants in my tank. ooo now im getting anxious for your friend to have some new cuttings

Nov 19, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
i like it though its looking real good. i think before i get the new cuttings from you i may add a bag of that organic soil to my substrate that i already have in there. i do think the 30lb. bag that i originally put in there was enough for the whole 55g

Feb 27, 2009
so orangecones are these the plants i would be getting when im able to get from you? i like all those plants ecspecially the long grass like pieces you said were Zephyranthes candida (dwarf onion) (does it really grow onions?) and Cryptocoryne spiralis. if these are the plants that i would get i could make a great scaping with those plants in my tank. ooo now im getting anxious for your friend to have some new cuttings
I used less than 1/2 of what my buddy sent me for this tank.

And yes, they really are onions. About the size of a small marble at their largest. They get too tall for my 20 gallon long, but look nice in a taller tank (a 20high or 29gallon, or larger). Unfortunately, you can't 'top' those like you can stem plants, to keep them shorter. But you can always remove the tallest plant and leave the shorter plants that grow on runners.

Nov 19, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
I used less than 1/2 of what my buddy sent me for this tank.

And yes, they really are onions. About the size of a small marble at their largest. They get too tall for my 20 gallon long, but look nice in a taller tank (a 20high or 29gallon, or larger). Unfortunately, you can't 'top' those like you can stem plants, to keep them shorter. But you can always remove the tallest plant and leave the shorter plants that grow on runners.
so when i get the 15 worth half of that would be what filled your tank? i think im understanding correctly. wow if so that will be A LOT of plants and would be perfect. i like all those plants and they look really good. i cant remember if you said you use C02 or not. will all those plants thrive without c02 and just good fertilizer?

Feb 27, 2009
That tank has no CO2 added to it. The carbon the plants can use is in the soil, given off by the fish, and given off by the detris decaying around the plants. There are several anubias in there (including the cutest little nana!) that are attached to driftwood, so don't get any carbon from the soil, so rely on the water column. The otos loved that little anubias to spawn on, in addition to the onion plants and longer crypts.

I think you are understanding me about the plants :) I spent 15$ including shipping to get a box of plants. I used 1/2 of them for this soil-based tank, and the other half of them for other tanks.

The plants will do ok without adding CO2, but don't grow as fast. You won't get as much color with slower growing plants, but its a low-maintenance tank on purpose. Very little fussing with it. Let the plants grow, let the fish swim/breed, feed the fish, enjoy!

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
That tank has no CO2 added to it. The carbon the plants can use is in the soil, given off by the fish, and given off by the detris decaying around the plants. There are several anubias in there (including the cutest little nana!) that are attached to driftwood, so don't get any carbon from the soil, so rely on the water column. The otos loved that little anubias to spawn on, in addition to the onion plants and longer crypts.

I think you are understanding me about the plants :) I spent 15$ including shipping to get a box of plants. I used 1/2 of them for this soil-based tank, and the other half of them for other tanks.

The plants will do ok without adding CO2, but don't grow as fast. You won't get as much color with slower growing plants, but its a low-maintenance tank on purpose. Very little fussing with it. Let the plants grow, let the fish swim/breed, feed the fish, enjoy!

thats awesome. that will be perfect for me since i dont have c02 yet. i cant wait to get a pressurized set

Feb 27, 2009

no.1chuy

Large Fish
May 22, 2009
Las Vegas
i didnt know they made four pin fixures for aquariums. cool fixure, off subject wats your take on cfl do you thinks theres too much restrike? another question with the el natural set up once you plant the plants thats it you cant add/move them around or is it just a lil messy

Feb 27, 2009
i didnt know they made four pin fixures for aquariums. cool fixure, off subject wats your take on cfl do you thinks theres too much restrike?
They do have a lot of restrike, but the reflector is shaped so that it reduces it. The reflector is one I got from this site:

36 or 55 watt Bright Kits

I'm getting two more bright kits from them to put better light over a 20 and 15gallon fry grow-out tanks. Those tanks have potted plants because they are barebottom otherwise.

another question with the el natural set up once you plant the plants thats it you cant add/move them around or is it just a lil messy
Adding, depends on the type of plant being added. I've added stems with little problem. Moving them around would be messy. You don't want to disturb the dirt too much. Bringing it into direct contact with the water would release too much organic matter into the water column. It can be done if you are careful.