finally bought some cherry shrimp! :)

hey everyone, i finally bought some cherry shrimp off of aquabid.com. 12 cherry shrimp 1/4" to 1/2" juvenilles. Anyways i have a lot of questions now :)

1. About how big do they have to be to start breeding?

2. I have neons, a few cardinals, 3 balloon bellied mollies, and a few guppies in my 20g (a little overstocked but i'm gonna move some) and i was wondering if any of these fish will eat the baby cherry shrimp if i do breed them. I am thinking that the main ones who will be eating the baby cherry shrimps are the balloon bellied mollies and the guppies so i might be moving those soon, do you think the neons will? they dont really swim around at the bottom so i doubt if the cherry shrimp were born they won't notice them...

3. Do they jump out of the tank? (my old ghost shrimp did but i guess it was cause of my angel :D) (the cherrys are gonna be in the 20g)

4. I have a penguin 100 on the 20g should i put something over the inlet?

5. Do cherry shrimp eat poop?

i have a few more questions but i can't remember them right now so i'll ask them later if i do remember it :) can't wait for the shrimp to come.

oh ya i remember a few more questions

6. Does salt help the shrimp? (i sometimes add aquarium salt to the tank for the mollies)

7. What kind of stuff has calcium in it cause a few websites have said that calcium is important.

8. Is there anything else i need to add to the tank to help out my shrimp? so far i have iodine, maybe salt depending on the answer, and something with calcium depending on the answer i get.

thanks in advance

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
1. 3/4"
2. Yes, they'll eat the babies
3. Not unless water quality is really bad or a fish is chasing them
4. Yes, if you're going to have baby shrimp (but see #2)
5. No, nothing eats poop
6. No
7. Cuttlebone and crushed coral in a small bag in the filter will help
8. No
9. Pretty important. If the seller isn't doing this, I'd say they're irresponsible.
10. I believe it comes when it comes.

ok thanks a lot :D the guy who is selling it to me is a really good person according to his feedback (200/200 positive). Anyways he said that he was gonna be sending like 14 shrimps (2 extra as insurance) and put some guppy grass in there for them to hold onto, is there any way that i can add calcium into the tank without modifying the pH? i'm gonna be going to petsmart later today to pick up some iodine and maybe some other stuff :D oh and does USPS leave the package at my doorstep if i'm not there to recieve it? or is there some policy where they deliver it again? Oh last question, when and if the cherry shrimp have eggs what do you think would be the best way to preserve most of the babies in the 20g with most of the fish still there (i moved the guppies except 2 albino ones and 3 endlers and i also moved the balloon bellied mollies) would getting some moss or something help? or more hiding spots?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
You really don't need the iodine.

Anyone selling/sending shrimp should know to add something for the shrimp to hang onto. It doesn't really matter what kind of plant, as long as there is one. If someone says they bag the shrimp with nothing to hang on to, don't buy from them. USPS will normally leave it at the door if you're not home. The best thing to do would be to have it delivered to your parent's work, so someone can keep it inside. It will depend on how the sender is sending it, though, as sometimes they require a signature. You should probably check the USPS Web site for information on that, and ask the seller if he is having it sent with a signature proof.

Yes, adding calcium will probably raise your pH.

To give the shrimp the best possible chance of survival, make sure there is plenty of java moss/riccia/other dense plants. Make sure you cover the intake with sponge or netting so the babies don't get sucked up the intake of the filter. Then, hope the fish don't find them all.

ok thanks a lot for the replies :) i'm glad i haven't bought the iodine yet cause its like 8 bucks and i'm not even sure if they do have some. It won't be a problem if the shrimp get here tommorow cause my sister is home like all day and she can recieve it but she is only 11 so i dont know if she can sign but i get home at noon so its probably not gonna be a problem. If it doesn't come tommorow then i'm in trouble cause my sister wont be home on thursday...

On the filter intake cover i bought some polyester from petsmart and it was like 2 square feet for 2 bucks so i thought it was a pretty good deal and i got some :) as for the fry cover i am hoping that the guy who sends me the shrimp includes enough guppy grass so i could leave it in my tank and grow it out but if it isn't enough i'll try something else or maybe order some plants but i doubt i will. I have a few more questions. What does the calcium do for the shrimp? and is it important? and can you give me a name of a product that has crushed coral? and does crushed coral make my water milky? Thanks for all the help so far :)

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
It should be OK for your sister to sign for the package (I guess). I dunno what Child Services will say about her being home alone, though....
Did the seller send you a tracking number?

What's your KH like? If it's low, then you might have a problem with the calcium. Shrimp use calcium to form their exoskeleton. Just like your mom always tells you to drink your milk for strong bones (as it's high in calcium). Shrimp have their "bones" on the outside, and they moult their exoskeleton, so need to have calcium. Some people say that as long as they're getting enough calcium in their diet, they should be OK without any added to the water column.

I would recommend getting cuttlebone, and putting a small (1/4") piece in the tank. You can get the cuttlebone at any pet store in the bird section for less than $2.

If you want to use crushed coral, your best bet is a LFS that has saltwater fish and sells it by the pound. If not, you'll be stuck with 15lbs of it and have to pay like $20. All you need of it is a tablespoon in a mesh bag in the filter.

my cousins live next door to us so if my sister needs something she will know where to go :)

The seller did send me a tracking number except i put it into the tracking thing on usps.com and it kept saying that it will be updated during the evening if information is available :(

My kH in the tank is usually from 12 to 14(don't know the measurement). OOO and i just saw a pic of the cuddle bone on petsmart and i had some of that stuff for my two birds a long time ago :) but i dont have it anymore :(. I might go pick some up next time i go out, do i just stick the whole thing into the filter? And just a random question but can you use cheese mesh (i think thats the name) for a mesh bag in your filter?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I would recommend getting cuttlebone, and putting a small (1/4") piece in the tank.
Your KH sounds high enough. I would test it a few weeks after you add the shrimp to make sure it's staying in that range. I wouldn't add the cuttlebone unless your KH is less than 4 dKH.

I wouldn't recommend cheesecloth, it's made of cotton and will rot too fast. You can maybe ask your mother for some old pantyhose and attach a piece of them with a rubber band. You should rinse them well first to get any soap out of them.

ok thanks i might just buy a mesh bag cause its only 2 dollars, and the shrimp didnt' come today :( hope it comes tommorow. When usps delivers and there is no one at home do they leave it at my doorstep? if they do and its left there for like 30 minutes at 95 to 100 degree weather do you think the shrimp will die? or will they leave a note or something saying to come and pick it up? thanks for the help

OMG, i came home today and all the shrimp were dead. UGHHHHHHHH i'm so mad so i emailed the guy and told him i'm sick and tired of waiting sigh. The guy told me over and over that they weren't going to die and how he has sold a few hundred of these shrimps and rarely get any deaths and when my shrimp come they are all dead. omg

ya he just e-mailed me back a few seconds ago and said he would replace everything and this time use breather bags and include a few extra shrimp to make it up to me. hope this time there isn't going to be any problems... now i have to wait another week and i thought the 2-3 days shipping was already killing me... Are breather bags really good? how would you fight 90 to 100 degree temps? oh well i'll leave that to him to decide.