HI! i was wondering if i could put a female betta in my 55 gallon tank
The tank contains ( and will contain):
1 female guppy
2 platies (1 male and 1 female)
7 zebra danios
1 pearl danio(male)
3 kuhli loaches
1 dojo loach(male?)
2 dwarf gouramis(both male,1 honey sunset and 1 powder blue)
1 BN pleco
1 bumblebee goby
9 neons and cardinals
2 male sailfin mollies
1 dwarf oto cat
( i own all of them, but some are in another tank: i plan to move them to mine)
I was also thinking about these guys: dwarf rainbows, kribs, or tiger barbs.

All input is greatly appreciated!!!Thanks!!!!!:p

Last edited:

jingles

Medium Fish
Jan 28, 2009
Auburn, AL
Number of fish * max inches
guppy-1*2.5''=2.5''
platies-2*2''=4''
zebra danios-7*3''=21''
pearl danio-1*1''=1''
kuhli loaches-3*4''=12
dojo loaches-1*9''=9
dwarf gouramis-2*2''=4
BN pleco- 1*4.5''=4.5
bumblebee goby-1*1.5''=1.5
neons-9*2''=18
sailfin mollies-2*6.5''=13''
oto-1*2''=2
so without the betta you have a total of 92.5 inches of fish..so in a 55 g you'd be really overstocked. I think the betta would be compatible with most of those fish but I'm not sure. All you fish a peaceful so I can't see there being a problem. Also some of you fish(mollies and bumblebee goby) would do better in brackish. So I'd just move a few of you fish to the 55 with the betta. Hope I helped.

jingles

Medium Fish
Jan 28, 2009
Auburn, AL
Well you really don't want an overstocked tank especially of that caliber. I'd remove some of those fish. It's ok to be overstocked but not that overstocked IMO. If you're overstocked then you have to do more maintenance on your tank. So if you have a 55 g stocked with like 50 inches of fish you might be about to clean it every other week and change to media every month without the chemesitry getting out of wack. If you have a 55g with 92 inches of fish you might have to vacuum the tank twice a day and change the media every week or two. I just made up these two up, to see how much more maintaince you'd have to do you need to get a test kit and test your NH3/NH4, NO2-,NO3-. I would not put more than 60-65 inches of fish in that tank. It's very overcrowded IMO.

hayer

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2009
i plan to take out the zebra danios, pearl danio, the mollies, and a kuhli loach. But i plan to add the female betta. could i go with a male betta? just asking:)
Thanks so much for the help btw!:)

hayer

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2009
i can now keep most of the fish inn another tank!!!!!!!!!!:)
Does anybody have any stocking ideas?
In the 55 gallon currently have 7 zebra danios, 1 pearl danio, 1 female guppy, and 2 platies?
I really want tiger barbs, dwarf rainbows, kribs, or/and a female betta.
would they get along?

jingles

Medium Fish
Jan 28, 2009
Auburn, AL
Congrads on the other tank. Don't put a male betta in your tanks. Tiger barbs(in a shoal, 5-6 or more), dwarf rainbows, or a female betta would be fine. As for the kribs I'm not sure but I guess it be ok too. I'd put some bottom dwellers in the 55g(loaches, pleco, oto) and maybe a gouramis or two depend on how you stock the bottom.

beckyd

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2009
Yes on the betta with this mix. Male or female, as long as the platies are not red. If they are, stick with the female. In my experience, male bettas will kill any red fish, but others have had better luck than me with this. Its going to depend on the fish. A big 'No' on the tiger barbs and bettas of either sex. Tiger barbs are fin nippers and you will lose your betta to their harrassment. I am unsure of the betta's compatability with kribs and rainbows. Ask in the betta section if someone doesn't specifically reply here.
Also, I have had a pretty hard time acclimating bettas to my 55g community tank. Its alot for fish that were raised in a bottle, so read up on how to successfully pull this off. I finally succeeded by leaving the lights out and floating them in a breeder for 2 days with some floating plants, so they felt safe, got used to the other fish, yet nobody could touch them. Until I did this, I lost multiple females within a few weeks, I am guessing due to stress. Good luck!

hayer

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2009
i just bought two cories and they are in the tank now!! they are so cute!:) Would they all get along?
I also planned on moveing the BN pleco(maybe) and the bumblebee goby from the other tank.
Would they get along?
So can i put a female betta wuth a scholl of 6-9 tiger barbs or not?!:p

Sep 10, 2004
Texas
Visit site
I have a small 30 gal tank - one red tail shark, one female blue betta, two cory catfish, two glowlight tetras, one yellow fish and one orange fish (don't remember the name buth they recently had a baby). The fry is in a small two gallon bowl. The shark is the only one that chases all the fish in the tank now and then. The betta is the only one that chases the shark to put him in his place. My betta has really thrived in the tank and loves it. I do have a small barrel piece in the tank so she can hide every now and then. My cories do fine in the tank as well, and I am thinking of getting another cory to help the other two maintain the tank. However, tiger barbs are fin nippers and would definitely chew on the other fish. I wouldn't recommend adding tiger barbs to your tank, but then, I have never owned any. Good luck.

Sep 10, 2004
Texas
Visit site
I would get bettas. If you want more than one betta, get all females only as you can only keep one male betta per tank/bowl. If I ever get tiger barbs, I will only have a tiger barb tank plus maintenance fish. Does that help? Of course, it's just one opinion. Good luck! :)