Empty Snail Shell?

iapetus

Large Fish
Jan 15, 2008
34:09:39N, 118:08:19W
So, I have a minor mystery on my hands. I just pulled out a pond snail shell from my tank that was completely empty. It's pretty translucent and I can see that there's nothing in it. Any ideas as to what happened to the guy? He lived in a tank that has a small school of gold pristella tetra (who tend to ignore the snails), two emerald catfish and a ghost shrimp. There are about 8 or so other pond snails in the tank who appear healthy.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Eh...this is pretty common, not a real big mystery. If more of your snails died then you may have an issue...but if you keep an eye out for ammonia spikes, shouldn't be any issues. Your scavengers/bottom feeders (other snails, shrimp and catfish) probably made pretty quick work of him after he died, probably just of natural causes.

iapetus

Large Fish
Jan 15, 2008
Interesting, FroggyFox. Thanks for the reply! I didn't realize that whoever is eating the remains could have cleaned out the shell that well. (It was totally empty!)

As it turns out, I found a second empty snail shell in the tank. :eek: I don't think it's really a cause for worry. There are plenty of other happy snails and two happy ghost shrimp in there (I did lose a couple of other shrimp recently, but I suspect other causes). But, I'll be sure to monitor the snails' condition, as usual.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
no worries :) I think when they die their body comes loose from the shell and usually soft tissue is going to be what is easiest for other things to consume.

iapetus

Large Fish
Jan 15, 2008
It could be that your ghost shrimp killed it. They can be pretty mean.
Yeah, as you're probably aware, Lotus, this topic has come up before. I don't think my ghost shrimp killed them. They may well have eaten (and likely did eat, I think) the remains. But, I don't think they killed them.

My own suspicion is that not all ghost shrimp are created equal; and, that people refer to different shrimp by the same name. The ghost shrimp I have are very opportunistic eaters, but they're very peaceful and unaggressive.

Still, thanks for both of your replies!

(PS - If I do observe one of my shrimp attack a snail, I will post back! ;))

aldo14

Small Fish
Jul 30, 2007
downers grove
a few months ago i started noticing empty shells in my tank. I have a minor snail infestation and heard that some snails will consume each other but for the most part the shells were a mystery..until i actually saw a ghost shrimp attack and eat a live snail!!! now there are several shells on the sand floor which isn't a problem with me since it keeps the snail population under control :). I also have about a dozen ghost shrimp in my 20 gal. hope that helps!!

iapetus

Large Fish
Jan 15, 2008
a few months ago i started noticing empty shells in my tank. I have a minor snail infestation and heard that some snails will consume each other but for the most part the shells were a mystery..until i actually saw a ghost shrimp attack and eat a live snail!!! now there are several shells on the sand floor which isn't a problem with me since it keeps the snail population under control :). I also have about a dozen ghost shrimp in my 20 gal. hope that helps!!
Wow! Thanks for the testimony, aldo14! Interesting. I'll definitely keep my ghost shrimp around then. In fact, I may even add one or two! :D

But, I still refuse to think of my ghost shrimp as being mean. :p