Emmanuel's 29 Gallon

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
I got the first five female bettas for the tank. There's been no fin nipping, they all seem friendly toward each other. I may get 5 more next weekend with some birthday money, and after classes are over. :) Yay, last week of classes!

I also got 10 olive nerite snails. I love these snails, they look awesome, and eat some of the dead leaves, so it saves me the trouble of having to take a bunch of them out. I'm going to get some for all of my tanks. Especially since Ludwigia Glandulosa is the plant that gives me the most trouble with dying leaves.

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
I ended up getting 5 more female bettas on Sunday. I decided I needed a break in between studying for finals and working on my structural geology project so I went female betta hunting at another PetSmart. There was some serious fin nipping after I added the five new females. They all calmed down in a day though, and now have been swimming peacefully, with the casual chase breaking out in between.

I realy love watching them swimming in between my plants. It looks like they're playing hide-and-go-see. :) I've also discovered some of the 'holes' connected in my driftwood were connected... haha. I'll have a picture sometime after the POTM contest next month... Oh yeah, I submitted this guy along with the 100g tank.

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
I ♥ this plant!

Pogostemon Stellatus 'Broadleaf'

lol I tried it once. It died so bad on me haha. Glad you have luck with it- it really is a beautiful plant.

Yay, last week of classes!
I know what you mean- I have been done for a week now and it feels GREAT!! No more school ever!! haha.

I ended up getting 5 more female bettas on Sunday. I decided I needed a break in between studying for finals and working on my structural geology project so I went female betta hunting at another PetSmart.

I'll have a picture sometime after the POTM contest next month... Oh yeah, I submitted this guy along with the 100g tank.
I did the same thing when I was bored- went to the LFS and picked things up I really couldn't afford at the end of the school year haha Don't regret it though- my tank looks bad*** enough to beat your little 29er in the POTM, so I am not worried at all ;) hahaha.

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
lol I tried it once. It died so bad on me haha. Glad you have luck with it- it really is a beautiful plant.

I know what you mean- I have been done for a week now and it feels GREAT!! No more school ever!! haha.

I did the same thing when I was bored- went to the LFS and picked things up I really couldn't afford at the end of the school year haha Don't regret it though- my tank looks bad*** enough to beat your little 29er in the POTM, so I am not worried at all ;) hahaha.
I'd send you some pogostemon stellatus, but I'm afraid it wouldn't last the trek from South Texas all the way to Canada.

Lucky you in re: to no school ever! Lucky you, dangit! I could've graduated a year early last year, but I didn't because I chose to fall behind one year in my geology classes... then I could've graduated on time this year, but no, because I kept dropping my calculus and physics classes, which are prerequisites for the last geology course I need, which is only offered once a year, and I have to wait a whole year before I can take it, agh!

I wish I could vote for all the tanks in the POTM. They're all going to be great!

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
I'd send you some pogostemon stellatus, but I'm afraid it wouldn't last the trek from South Texas all the way to Canada.

I wish I could vote for all the tanks in the POTM. They're all going to be great!
Thanks man, but no worries. I am sure it would die again anyways hahahah.

And I know what you mean- I am definitely looking forward to seeing the POTM entries :), no matter how much trash talk we do hahaha

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
Another one of mine.

I changed it around though... Pulled out the L. Glandulosa and E. Tenellus Micro and replaced it with Hemianthus Micranthemoides. I hope it's all lush and bushy by the time I get back to Houston.

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
This tank was all kinds of overgrown. I had tons and tons of Hemianthus Micranthemoides, which I replanted. I had a ton of Rotala Colorata, which went to my 100g (read that thread for updates on why), and the same went for the Pogostemon. I had quite a bit of emmersed growth for the Ludwigia Arcuata. I threw several cuttings away because they were covered in a bit of clado algae. The olive nerites kept the other algaes at bay... maybe a few amanos would've taken care of the clado. Picture when I get home.

All females bettas were alive and well. :)

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
This is a mildly tragic story. :(

I took the CO2 from this tank for my 100g tank, and since there's ~4.5 wpg of lighting on here, there was an algae explosion. I haven't trimmed much, except to get some of the pogostemon stems for my 100g tank. I added my HM in here and it grew unruly, which is what I was hoping for. :) I have a lot of cleaning to do with thsi puppy. I think I'm going to lower the lighting though, at least until I can get a CO2 refil.

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
I have my old 'low-tech' lighting on this guy again.

I took everything out except for the driftwood. This will be a simple low-tech tank. I have dwarf sag planted in the substrate, and java moss and java ferns on the driftwood. There were some anubias plants in here too, but I took them out to put them in my emersed grow-out tank (20g), hoping they grow more quickly. I tried to take a picture yesterday during the day, but there was a reflection on the glass from light coming in through the blinds... I'll try my luck tonight.

I took the remaining female bettas from this tank and moved them into my 100g. I managed to find a few cherry shrimp still alive in the mass of plants that were in here. I then added the cherry shrimp that were still alive in the few inches of water left in the 20 g (and there were a lot!). They colored up a bright red, and within a few days I started to see tons of shrimplets. My cherry shrimp population started to explode. I'm going to let them keep breeding some more, and in a couple of months, I'm hoping to be able to turn them into store credit at an LFS so that I can get some more olive nerites for my 100g.

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
I'm thinking of getting a few platies to co-exist with my betta. They'll provide some live food for him, and I can also feed the 100g inhabitants some live food every now and then. I was thinking of guppies, but the betta may not like them and mollies may be too big. : /