Don't flush those dead fish!

Wormo3188

Large Fish
Apr 6, 2003
New York
Visit site
What about your credibility, depending on where you go the people there will begin to know you, if you are serious about the hobby, and if they start giving you freebies and whatnot for always coming back, and then suddenly they catch you with a half frozen fish, I dont think it would be smart. I would never go back to the store again if that ended up happening. There are somethings that are just not right, usually it is only a 10 dollar fish, so after you get a couple months out of it it, what is the point, you all ready got your satisfaction out of it, why not jsut do the right thing?

FishQueen

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Abercrombie, you're supposed to bring it water to test b4 getting a fish at Petco?? I've NEVER done that and they've always given me fish... is it just for your convienance or something? lol cute idea, but I'd never do it... care too much about my fish to do something like that.

Doomhed

Large Fish
Feb 11, 2003
Rhode Island
Visit site
RE-YZFR1rider

OK. i am going to assume your store has horrible conditions. Do not knock my Company. I am an employee and a stockholder of wal-mart. I am the man who helps write fish care instructions when need be. i dont get to enforce them, but i write them. hell, in my store if anyone pulled that BS they would not be getting any credit for any fish ever. EVER. Hmm...flint michigan....i know what wal-mart that is. I'll be on the phone w/ somebody soon to get that solved.
And most ppl working for walmart are hard working normal ppl. I dont see them as worthless, i see people who discount my company as worthless. there is a reason walmart is the biggest company in the world. because we do not hire creepy little theives like yourself. I severely doubt you could make it even one week as a department manager, let alone salaried management, at one of our stores.

Good day Sir.

adamj

Large Fish
Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
Doomhed, any reply on the emails i sent you about my local walmart? I really havent seen improvements yet :(

like i said before, i'd gladly go in part time to take care of the fish!
i think that would be great for walmart to do, hire part time aquarists to come in to clean feed medicate and provide general information about the stocked animals.

anyway, if you select good fish from you lfs and take proper care of them, you should have that many fish deaths, unless a fish suddenly comes down with TB or something. Just some thoughts :)

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Doomhed-
How nice that you have the power to write instructions for the people that deal with the fish in your multibillion dollar company. I LOVE Walmart...however I would never buy a fish there. I know I have heard the same thing from almost everyone I know, not just on this messageboard.
You could start with some better living conditions for the fish. In my store off of Wadsworth/6th Ave in Lakewood, CO the fish are so stressed out that I feel sorry for them. There are ALWAYS dead fish in more than one tank...and there was a beta on the shelf last week that looked like it hadn't been alive in a VERY long time. The tanks that they keep the fish in have reflective bottoms, no where for the fish to get out of the light or away from others(ie plants or decorations), no sand or gravel for them to happily pick at.
Walmart would have to seriously pick up its fishkeeping appearances for me to ever buy a fish there. I don't know the chemical/biological facts of the water there, I don't have statistics of how many fish die there. I do know that your large company would get much more respect from the fish community if your "instructions" were enforced a bit better. (assuming that those instructions are sound)

Also...it sounds to me like you took it personally that one of your customers had to help out one of your employees who wasn't doing their job properly. I believe he didn't mean that the person was a worthless employee...but worthless when it came to the fish department. If Walmart has to bring in an employee from the Clothes department to tend to a customer and that employee knows nothing about the department then it sounds like an issue that needs to be addressed.

Big companies don't get big and stay big by railroading the customers wishes, they do it by improving their performance in the eye of the consumer. Seems to me that a forum like this one would be a great way to be proactive and ask questions like "what would the consumers like to see at walmarts fish department?" I'm sure you would get a lot of input.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
As for the actual real subject of this post, thanks I was laughin :) I found out last weekend that my LFS has a 6 day return policy and they require you to bring in a sample of your water...which hugely contrasts PetsMarts policy of just bring it in within 30 days and we'll replace it for you no questions asked.

NOT to say thats a horrible policy...but after seeing what my lfs requirements are, I am more likely to buy fish from them because I know they actually care that I'm taking care of them. THOUGH sometimes Petsmart is cheaper with live fish...and sometimes Walmart is cheaper with the "stuff" deco etc.

DONT FORGET TO DECHLORINATE your tap water! hehe

Jun 8, 2003
canada
clix.to
I was thinking when I read this thread that maybe you were meaning that you were going to send the dead fish to me to feed my turtle lol.

I bought him some feeder fish but he didn't eat them until sadly one died and he did.. Go figure..

Conform

Small Fish
Jun 30, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I don't like Walmart fish at all.. Every one that I've ever boughten from there have died. Where as, I still have all the fish I have from "Local dealers". I have a fish in the freezer chillin', that I have to bring back to Walmart. I would have to agree that Walmart "fish keepers" are definately not owners themselves. Just ask them to say, Cichlid. ;-)

Jul 8, 2003
New Jersey
I have been buying and returning fish for quite a while and sometimes the people who served me more than once and can remember you get quite agitated. But I never knew Petco had the policy as well. just thought PETsMART.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Ya know...now that you question it I don't remember for sure...but I did ask them when I first got fish from them and thats about when I wrote this post so I'm gonna stick by it :) I do have another lfs that is a 30 days policy also, no questions asked, new fish or store credit or money back...maybe I got them confused?

Jul 15, 2003
Visit site
I work in Petcetera, and I look at the fish you bring back, + check the date on the receipt. I don't test your water though, i dont have too, but if I did the chlorine strip would tell me its tap water right away.

:)

Jul 25, 2003
San Diego, Ca
Visit site
your right about the return policies. I did that but that was because my betta that i bought from them died of unknown reason, and they didnt even ask for a receipt. Id rather make my tank as good as possble rather than returning fishes that died cos of my neglect.

nd oh, im returning my 6 dead bala sharks. I just dont understand why they died, but my syno(a more sensitive species is alive) and get store credits to buy equipments instead..