Does anyone know a good site to order shrimp from?

charls

Large Fish
Feb 22, 2006
San Antonio, TX
Basicaly my question is the tiltle.:p

I'm thinking of turning my 10gal into a shrimp tank and since no one around here sells shrimp i was wondering,"Does anyone know a good site to order shrimp from?"

Also what kind of shrimp do or would you sugget i get? I have reseasearched shrimp so i know how to take care of them. Thanks for your help!:D

P.S. - I'm talking about freshwater shrimp.Thanks!*SUNSMILE*

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
If you want to start with something simple - start with cherries. They're like guppies! I've got a few in my 10 gallon, and more on the way... I may give out a few freebies once they start reproducing... :D

EDIT: You can also check the swap & shop section of The Planted Tank - Articles, Forums, Pictures, Links . People are always selling shrimp, particularly cherries.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2008
Reading, PA
I went over to That Fish Place last week and bought the last 5 cherries they had, $4 each. As the guy was netting them, I noticed there were hundreds of eggs scattered on the tank bottom and at least 20 tiny babies shot out of the plants.

This was my first shrimp purchase, but I also picked up some ghost shrimp for something like .19 each. They may be worth the consideration. If $4 each is too much.

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
If you want to start with something simple - start with cherries.

EDIT: You can also check the swap & shop section of The Planted Tank - Articles, Forums, Pictures, Links . People are always selling shrimp, particularly cherries.
Exactly what I was going to post! I bought $20 for $1 each (received 7 extra for free plus some plants) from a seller on the above forum. You can find a lot of good deals there. I recently saw some for sale at a LFS ($5 each).

After just one month my colony has doubled in size. If you can wait until next May or June I can hook you up with some for free when I visit SA again. :)

charls

Large Fish
Feb 22, 2006
San Antonio, TX
So you come by S.A every year? Is it for a biusness trip?

Anyways thanks but i think by next may or so...........somethings will be happening around here and i don't know where i'll be or if i'll have more than one or maybe 2 tanks. But thank you so much for your kindness.(i was going to say jenorouslty but i can't spell so...ya):p

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
Exactly what I was going to post! I bought $20 for $1 each (received 7 extra for free plus some plants) from a seller on the above forum. You can find a lot of good deals there. I recently saw some for sale at a LFS ($5 each).
Yeah, I bought 10 at an LFS for $20 b/c i didn't want to risk losing any during shipping... then I decided to get 30 for $25 from The Planted Tank - Articles, Forums, Pictures, Links .

Can't wait till my 20 gallon is completed so I can get me some yellows!

If you're still looking, once my little red-aquarium-roaches start breeding, i can send some for free.

btw. it's generosity. :)

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
So you come by S.A every year? Is it for a biusness trip?

Anyways thanks but i think by next may or so...........somethings will be happening around here and i don't know where i'll be or if i'll have more than one or maybe 2 tanks. But thank you so much for your kindness.(i was going to say jenorouslty but i can't spell so...ya):p

Nope, I just go around the state to give away free shrimp. :cool:

Yeah, it's a business trip. Usually we have the annual conference in Austin, but we're all getting tired of that liberal place.