• Hate them!

Votes: 16 48.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
I voted "Hate Them" only because there wasn't an option to say "I am not all that crazy about them, but they could possibly be OK in the right conditions".
I had them when I was a kid, and now, I just think they are too messy for the average aquarium. They need really large tanks to be happy and healthy, and I think it's sad that they are sold as a "small tank" option....

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
had to go with "hate them" although hate is such a strong word. I'm with the group who likes them in ponds, the normal fish shaped ones koi etc...but I dont like the wierd lookin ones. My neighbor brought over a pleco and a 7 inch goldfish that her daughter had at home in a fishtank...she's going to college so she couldn't keep them anymore, so I agreed to take the pleco and my parents took "fonz" the goldfish/koi not sure what he is, home to their pond. They thought the raccoons would get him for sure, but nope, he's still there and eating like a horse haha

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
I love my goldies. As far as being messy... my 8 goldies were NO WAY NEAR AS MESSY as my 2 Ocscars. My Oscars make a real mess, and I only feed them pellets.

I don't like bubble eyes, lionheads or other deformedish types - the extreame fancies. But I like fantaikls, Rankus, Comets (yes feeders - spunky) and the lovely saransan comets rate up there with Koi.

As far as mixing, I do have my goldies mixed with some white clowd minnows in the pond, but really, I think variety of fish is overrated. People trying to do too much with just 1 or 2 tanks.

Get 15 tanks running, a few species specific tanks, then you can have varietes without compatability issues.

stooeygee

Small Fish
Aug 29, 2005
Manchester , England
Buddhism, which was made its appearance from B.C 600 to B.C 500 in ancient India, is the third dominant religions in the world. Late Western Han Dynasty, it was introduced into China. In early years of Eastern Han Dynasty, Buddhism was prevailed in many rich families. Through full development and spread in Wei-Jin, South and North Dynasty, Sui and Tang Dynasty, it brought Buddhism at its peak. Till Song Dynasty it has become so popular that common families were fond of it. In Buddhism are such doctrines as spirit never dies after death, comeuppance, abstinence from killing, stealing, desiring, cheating and drinking, be kind to live animals. Affected by the doctrine of protecting live animals people set captive fish free into "Let Go" ponds. Gradually, there were many gold carps gathering in the ponds of the famous temples, such as Xinlin temple, Yueboluo temple, Liuhe tower etc. Quite a few ancient books on Buddhism saving captive animals were come out. It is no doubt to say, from its beginning, goldfish has the links with Buddhism.

What's more, Buddhism advocates self-cultivation and self-seeking. Namely, it puts more stress on calming one's mind, enjoying beautiful sceneries such as blue sky and seas, grandiose mountains and limpid rivers, bright sunlight and warm breeze, sliver moon and stars. These natural things seem so magic that they can bring you back to nature and help you remove all worries and pressures.

Let's imagine that a swimming goldfish can recall you of the past and predict your bright future. Aren't such beautiful things able to fill you with encouragement? In addition Tibetan Buddhism, endows goldfish with symbolization of liberation from the suffering and fetters and goldfish also means eternity and palingenesis. According to its doctrine goldfish eyes can penetrate turbid muddy water so it is capable of knowing past and predicting the future.

How can anyone dislike goldfish?

phOOey

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Nottingham, UK
i like a koi and comets, when there in a nice big pond outside. not such a big fan of the fantails, and bubble eyes though, still i'd say i like them more than i hate them so i went for love 'em.