Do You Like Goldfish?

Do you like goldfish?

• Love them!

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • Hate them!

Votes: 16 48.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't get it! Why do so many people hate goldfish? :( I find them as good fish (I've never had one before.. But i know people who have them/see them in the LFS) and they seem like interesting fish, plus they're so different. I especially like the 'bubble ones' with the sacs and the Black Moors.
So, guys do you love 'em or hate 'em? Do the poll and let's find out! *SUPERSMIL

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
What's not to love????

Love them, what can I say? They have their place in the universe as much as cichlids, tetras, barbs, natives, you name it. (some fish I like, others I'd never keep)

I'm not terribly partial to one sort or another, tho I have an awesome Moor right now, really like the fantails and orandas, have plenty of really cool koi and comet-styles in my garden pond and have recently been smitten with ranchu.

You may not be able to keep many other kinds of fish with them (I've kept white clouds, rosy barbs, hillstream loaches and apple snails with mine), but there's so much variety within the one species, there's plenty to choose from. They have true 'fish shui' *thumbsups

Jan 16, 2004
Syracuse, NY
I love them in my pond, they come in very nice colors and variations (shubunkins and sarasa are a sharp looking fish) and are interesting and active. But never again will I keep them in a tank, it limits them and doesnt look right with other fish in with them.

Last edited:
May 25, 2005
I love my Red Capped Orandas. As far as putting other fish in with them, why would you need to? They are beautiful in their own tank. They have live plants, four pagodas, four small colorful spot lights that shine out thru the pagoda windows, black gravel with black tank backing.

I also have my seahorse only tank. They are beautiful and don't need other fish.
These are only two of my tanks. Each one is set up with a specific look in mind.

JNevaril

Large Fish
Jul 10, 2005
Lincoln, Nebraska
I started with goldfish, but they got way too big for my tanks....

They all live in a pond at a neighbor's now.

Personally, I think they are beautiful fish,but would never own them again because they are so messy.

If we are to judge the fish, should be be judging them on the fish themselves or on our ability to care for them properly? Elephants are big and poop a lot but I don't hate them just because I don't have the facilities to house them.

If we are judging the creature solely on the creature itself, then I see nothing wrong with goldfish. I don't necessarily care for the bulgy eye ones or the brainy forehead ones, but your average run-of-the-mill goldfish can actually be quite pretty.

I'm not going to vote, though, because there is no middle ground. Where is the "I have nothing against them but they're not my cup of tea because there are so many other fish available" option?

Not sure- lol. Sorry didn't think of that :D Some people don't like them because their 'ugly'... But i've always been a huge fan of the 'odd' looking goldfish.. I think they are sweet and unusual.. i think most people don't like to get them because there too common!! :)
but when i finally get a house (when i'm old enough to move out) I'll certainly have a goldfish pond!

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
I voted Hate as I thought you meant in a tank.They're ok in ponds I suppose.I just can't stand all the large finned,googly eyed monstrosities that can't swim properly and sometimes have a job feeding themselves.Give me a normal carp anyday.

Aug 20, 2005
Florida
www.myspace.com
Leopardess said:
If we are to judge the fish, should be be judging them on the fish themselves or on our ability to care for them properly? Elephants are big and poop a lot but I don't hate them just because I don't have the facilities to house them.

If we are judging the creature solely on the creature itself, then I see nothing wrong with goldfish. I don't necessarily care for the bulgy eye ones or the brainy forehead ones, but your average run-of-the-mill goldfish can actually be quite pretty.

I'm not going to vote, though, because there is no middle ground. Where is the "I have nothing against them but they're not my cup of tea because there are so many other fish available" option?

wow.. i agree .. even though i love them.. where is that option??? lol

Sandtiger

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Simi Valley, CA
O.K. where the heck is the "I love them with all of my heart but can't keep them because my tank is too small and I can't afford a pond" option?
I think that the (non-MFTers) that don't like them might not like them because usually them main choices in fish stores are between emaciated feeders and "large-finned, googly-eyed monstrosities that can't swim properly and sometimes have a job feeding themselves" (I love that name for them, very fitting!).
I am with you all the way TLH, non-feeder pool comets are the best goldfish around!

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Fish shaped goldfish are okay (comets, koi, etc.). I seriously dislike the look of the "balls with fins stuck out" goldfish, and even more if they've got the eye sacs or the brainy head look.

I love seeing goldfish and koi in ponds, though.