DIY tank stand question

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
I was browsing thru the DIY links and came across directions for a large tank stand, I have a 100+gal tank in my garage that i havent set up because I havent been ale to afford a stand but figure I can use the plans and make one for a relatively low price. My question has anyone used any of these plans before? They seem to be well thought out but at the same time thats alot of water to have end up on the carpet.
this is the one I am thinking about.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_stand.php

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
We've made (well Ecotank has made) a couple of stands with similar plans. If you ever take a look at most stands at the store, they're a lot less sturdy than the ones you make based on those plans. Of course, you need to make sure the tank is 100% level and that the wood is securely screwed.

epond83

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
Yeah those plans look good, most people over build there stands (better safe then sorry) but once you learn how much weight wood can carry parallel to grain it doesn't take much to hold it up.
dending on if you have a sump and it's size and location i might put some more supports on the base depending on thinkness of the sheathing you use. of coarse if you use 3/4" you'll be ok

but yeah level and evenly supported and you should be good.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
thanks, I had constructed other large items but never anything meant to hold that much weight. I was thinking of adding some angle supports just because I dont trust just using the wood screws even though I have used that method many times. Well I am probably going to begin buying materials this weekend I will let you know how it turns out.

epond83

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
if you really want cross braces go for but i don't think you need them, i don't have any on my 75 and it's very sturdy (built it my self)

As long as you have two screws (2.5" or 3") at each joint and it will have enogh strenght agaist twisting. I've seen many tank stands and i don't think i've any with angle supports

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
I checked out the high dollar stands at both of the popular pet supply places, and the ones I looked at were made out of compressed cardbord, particle board. and looked to be mostly glue together except for little blocks in corners stapled into place. So i think i will be safe with or without angle supports.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
I plan on following the plans directly, no deviation (well except maybe the angle brackets) but seems that something that costs 400 plus dollars should be made a bit sturdier than than ur typical "mart" furniture, just kinda shocking seeing those stands made like that.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
OK I know it has been 5 months since I posted this thread and my lazy a== still hasnt got it started. But tomorrow is the day I begin....I plan on buying the materials tomorrow night after work. Wish me luck...lol

Last edited: