DIY filter

Mar 9, 2009
Culpeper, VA
www.myspace.com
so i work at ace hardware and im trying to figure out a way to make my own filter with items that we sell so i was wondering if this would work

Little Giant Pump Company® Pool Cover Water Pump (14942702) - Fountain Pumps & Accessories - Ace Hardware

this is the pump that i would be in the tank running through this...

Ace Valve in Head Whole House Water Filter (HF-360 ACE) - Replacement Water Filters & Cartridges - Ace Hardware

some feedback would help alot thanks...

Kallen

Small Fish
Sep 26, 2009
Kettering, OH
so i work at ace hardware and im trying to figure out a way to make my own filter with items that we sell so i was wondering if this would work

some feedback would help alot thanks...
How big is your tank?

The specs on that pump say 550GPH... if your tank is less than 90-100, that may be too much power (I could be mistaken). But the price of the the pump and the housing are about the same as a commercial aquarium filter. Granted, you probably get a pretty sweet employee discount (and the satisfaction of a DIY project)... I have to say I like the idea tho...very nice.

stud_man50

Small Fish
Aug 10, 2009
that would be great for mechanical and a little biological because it would trap some good bacteria, but if you ever wanted to add chemical "carbon" theres really no spot, and if its a freshwater tank, that would kinda be bad because it would trap so much and cause stuff to rise.