DIY CO2 Diifuser.

hyunelan2

Large Fish
Jun 1, 2005
Near Chicago, IL
Is there actually anything going into the tank? You could be losing your CO2 through airline connections. Check valves are not supposed to allow anything through. Take yours off and blow through it, see if it works both ways, if so - throw it away and get a new one.

GIS Guy

Superstar Fish
Feb 18, 2004
East-Central Illinois
Visit site
It's been tested.
The strangest thing happened...
I cannot blow through it in the opposing direction, but the CO2 can penetrate the valve.
This morning I specifically checked this, because I hooked up my canister (Magnum 350) as a reactor and wanted to see if it would work.
(Mind you the canister is a temporary solution until I purchase a powerhead. The only thing in the canister is an empty media basket.
It seems to be working just fine as a reactor, for the time being. I know I'll have to occassionally refill it with water as the gas displaces it.)

Anyway, there are most definitely CO2 bubbles coming from the solution and entering the canister.
I can see them at both locations.
Now I'm not sure what to make of this.
Perhaps I still need to replace the check valve.

Guysy1110

Large Fish
Oct 26, 2006
essex
if co2 is entering the tank, but water from the tank cannot flow back into your co2 mix, then your all good :)

Thats all i have my check valve for.. to stop water flowing into my diy co2 mix.

Guysy

hyunelan2

Large Fish
Jun 1, 2005
Near Chicago, IL
^Right.

If you have the check valve mounted backwards and you are still getting CO2 flow into the tank, a possible explanation could be that the CO2 is under such low pressure that it is not enough to push the stopper closed inside the check valve. I would still be wary of this though. When you do a 'recharge' or increase CO2 output, there is the likelyhood that there will be enough pressure to push the stopper closed, and you will not get CO2 into the tank (most likely losing the CO2 through the connection between the airline and checkvalve).

hyunelan2

Large Fish
Jun 1, 2005
Near Chicago, IL
There should be no chance of yeast entering the tank, unless you are keeping your DIY bottle in a location higher than the tank. Then, you would run the risk of possibly being able to siphon the yeast solution down into the tank. Even then, it would be a very slim chance that could happen.

Mahamotorworks

Superstar Fish
Aug 26, 2006
Thule, Greenland
www.myspace.com
Ok. I just got done testing my water to get my CO2 Levels. Here is what I got. My PH is 6 Maybe lower. My KH is 5 to 6. That would mean the my CO2 Levels are between 150ppm and 180ppm. This is a DIY System. I have a bubble bar that runs all the time to help with circulation. And my water is about 2 inches from the top of the tank. I disconnected one of the bottles for now. I was only seeing a bubble every 2 seconds. I am waiting on more plant to get here hopeflly tomorrow.

I changed my CO2 to fun into a quickfilter of an AC 30 Powerhead. Like Lonewoleblue's set up. I will get some new Pics tonight.

MAHA

Mahamotorworks

Superstar Fish
Aug 26, 2006
Thule, Greenland
www.myspace.com
I have the outlet straight cause the Flow from the HOB filter pushes the CO2 bubbles down and around the tank. All the fish are doing good today I ran the CO2 overnight like I usualy do I guess I freaked out when I have 150ppm of CO2. I usually only have around 40ppm. I changed my recipe for my CO2 mixture, it looks like it worked.

I got some new inhabitants today. You will have to wait till I finish getting then plant I have on order to see the end product :)

MAHA

Mahamotorworks

Superstar Fish
Aug 26, 2006
Thule, Greenland
www.myspace.com
DIY Bubble Counter Done

I just assembled my bubble counter after waiting for it to dry overnight. Here it is. I thought that when the powerhead would spit out the bubbles of CO2 that was one bubble, not so. I will let you count in the video below.

As you can see a small mason jar, some tubing, and silicone and you too can have your own DIY Bubble Counter.

MAHA

Last edited:

Guysy1110

Large Fish
Oct 26, 2006
essex
I think one dissadvantage could be that because its not a transparent colour, it could stop you from seeing the bubbles clearly ?

Otherwise i think its a good size :)