DIY CO2 Diifuser.

Mahamotorworks

Superstar Fish
Aug 26, 2006
Thule, Greenland
www.myspace.com
I was trying to get a CO2 diffuser that looked good as well as worked. I tried a couple of different ideas, The Gravel Vac reactor and Power head venturi method. I didnt like the way any of these worked. So I decided to search on MFT about DIY CO2. I saw this http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/aquatic-plants/35498-diffusing-co2-into-large-aquarium.html By Avalon.

I was looking at it so I thought I would try it. I went to Home Depot and was looking for hard clear tubing, the kind you would use in a UGF. I didnt find any. I was leaving discouraged and passed the Lawn Sprinkler section when I saw a "24" Funny Pipe" Which is used for area where a slight curve is required to join 2 pipes. It was black and could be easily hid. I bought it and a compression fit end cap. A total of $2.76

I took them home and pulled out the Aqua Clear 30 Power head that I bought for dispersing the CO2. The Tube fit right on the power head. I cut about 4 Inches off of the end so the pipe would fit in the tank. I added the end cap and got my drill. I didnt want to drill the holes to big so I started with a 1/16th drill bit. I drilled holes every 2 inches. After Trial and Error for about 30 mins I ended up with 5/32 Holes every inch.

You couldnt see the holes. So no photo of it.

It works great. I have been testing it with regular Air I didnt want to set up my DIY CO2 and have no where to put it. I will be getting the CO2 going tomorrow.

To say it simply for Less then $18.00 I have a CO2 Spray bar that so far works great.

Here are some photos of it in action.

I just wanted to say Thanks to Avalon for posting his Idea here. I would also like to thank Everyone here on MFT, You have been verry helpful with anything that I have done. :)

As always Feedback and Questions are welcomed.

Thanks
MAHA

hyunelan2

Large Fish
Jun 1, 2005
Near Chicago, IL
I don't think the ventui effect will be enough to suck liquid out of the DIY mixture.

Don't worry about the CO2 bottle blowing up. I had a 2L bottle hooked to an airstone that somehow became completely junked up. The CO2 just leaked from the connectors in the air hose. No harm done. So, having give the CO2 a free path to escape into the venturi nozzle, you should have nothing to worry about.

hyunelan2

Large Fish
Jun 1, 2005
Near Chicago, IL
Oh, and turning the powerhead off will make no difference. The CO2 will still be forced into the tank by its natural pressure. It just will come puttering out in bubbles instead of being diffused into nice little bubbles with your powerhead flow.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
A powerhead-driven DIY CO2 system can most definitely suck yeast mixture into the tank if you're not paying attention. Make sure you're keeping the mixture fresh, and that the powerhead isn't so strong that even a slightly reduced production from the mixture starts to cause a vacuum.

If you get really busy for a few days, and you know (or suspect) you won't have time to change the mixture, turn off the powerhead or unscrew the bottle.

Yeast mixture in the tank is a horrible, horrible mess, with lots of dead fish.

Lonewolfblue

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
I'd do 2 things myself.....

1. Keep the powerhead running 24/7
2. When you get the quickfilter, put the CO2 tubing inside the quickfilter, and then put an airstone on the CO2 tubing inide the quickfilter. This will eliminate the noise, and you won't have the possibility of the powerhead pressure filling the DIY CO2 with tank water.

Oct 15, 2006
if the holes in the pipe are enough, the powerhead will gently suck on the air from the CO2. Should the holes clog, or you don't have enough, the water will then be blasted out the venturi hole, and water will go into the CO2 supply.

GIS Guy

Superstar Fish
Feb 18, 2004
East-Central Illinois
Visit site
Mahamotorworks said:
The check valve will stop anything from flowing into the bottle.
Do you have a check valve facing each direction?
...1. To prevent DIY from entering the tank.
...2. To prevent water from entering the DIY.

Have you had any problems so far with the CO2 line running directly into the powerhead?

I am thinking about a similar route.

hyunelan2

Large Fish
Jun 1, 2005
Near Chicago, IL
GIS Guy said:
Do you have a check valve facing each direction?
...1. To prevent DIY from entering the tank.
...2. To prevent water from entering the DIY.
Then you would be obstucting the line, and nothing could flow anywhere. You need to allow gas from the DIY to enter the tank. You could check-valve it to prevent the tank water from going to the DIY if you wanted, but not the other way around.

Mahamotorworks

Superstar Fish
Aug 26, 2006
Thule, Greenland
www.myspace.com
Check Valve only work one way. I have one that lets the CO2 go from the bottle to the tank. I havnt had any problems with running the CO2 into the power head. I have added a quick filter and I have the CO2 Line going in to it near the Intake to the Power head. It is working great I need to take some reading so Ican tell how much CO2 is present. I will do that now and post results.

MAHA